Klitschko to Run for Kiev Mayor, Not Interested in Presidency
Former Ukrainian heavyweight boxer and current politician Vitali Klitschko will run for mayor of Kiev instead of president.
At the end of February, Klitschko announced that he would compete for the country's top post at the May 25 elections, however he has now changed his plans, according to Interfax agency.
"I have made the considered decision to run for Kiev mayor. I want to make Kiev a really European capital. All the reforms and all initiatives start in the capital", Klitschko said at a meeting of his party UDAR (Ukrainian Alliance for Democratic Reforms).
Earlier this week, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko announced her plans to run for president.
After the ousting of President Viktor Yanukovych following months of violent protests, Ukraine will hold early presidential and local elections on May 25.
- » Greece, Lenders Fail to Reach Preliminary Budget Deal
- » German Co-Pilot 'Told Lufthansa of Depression' in 2009
- » Captured Turkey Prosecutor Dies of His Wounds after End of Hostage Drama
- » Turkey Bans Media Coverage of Prosecutor Hostage Crisis
- » Tsipras Hopes for ‘True Reset’ of Greece’s Ties with Russia
- » Turkish Prosecutor Taken Hostage at Courthouse