Klitschko to Run for Kiev Mayor, Not Interested in Presidency
Former Ukrainian heavyweight boxer and current politician Vitali Klitschko will run for mayor of Kiev instead of president.
At the end of February, Klitschko announced that he would compete for the country's top post at the May 25 elections, however he has now changed his plans, according to Interfax agency.
"I have made the considered decision to run for Kiev mayor. I want to make Kiev a really European capital. All the reforms and all initiatives start in the capital", Klitschko said at a meeting of his party UDAR (Ukrainian Alliance for Democratic Reforms).
Earlier this week, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko announced her plans to run for president.
After the ousting of President Viktor Yanukovych following months of violent protests, Ukraine will hold early presidential and local elections on May 25.
- » Turkey Tells Its Citizens to Delay Travel to Russia
- » Macedonian Army Builds Metal Fence on Border with Greece
- » Ankara-Moscow Relations Won't Fall Victim to Russian Warplane Downing - Turkish Deputy PM
- » Turkish Air Force Reportedly Suspends Flights over Syria
- » Russia to Suspend Visa-free Travel Regime with Turkey from 2016
- » France to Commemorate Paris Victims With National Memorial Service