Klitschko to Run for Kiev Mayor, Not Interested in Presidency
Former Ukrainian heavyweight boxer and current politician Vitali Klitschko will run for mayor of Kiev instead of president.
At the end of February, Klitschko announced that he would compete for the country's top post at the May 25 elections, however he has now changed his plans, according to Interfax agency.
"I have made the considered decision to run for Kiev mayor. I want to make Kiev a really European capital. All the reforms and all initiatives start in the capital", Klitschko said at a meeting of his party UDAR (Ukrainian Alliance for Democratic Reforms).
Earlier this week, former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko announced her plans to run for president.
After the ousting of President Viktor Yanukovych following months of violent protests, Ukraine will hold early presidential and local elections on May 25.
- » Turkish PM Warns Brussels: Alternatives to EU Exist
- » France To Dismantle "Jungle" Camp in Calais
- » Greece Insists On Implementation of Quota Principle for Refugees
- » Bulgarian Citizens in Turkey: We Will Vote In Spite of Discrimination
- » Walloon Government Blocks CETA
- » Spain's Constitutional Court Annuls Catalonia's Corrida Ban