Jens Stoltenberg To Be Next NATO Chief
The NATO member states have agreed that the ex-prime minister of Norway Jens Stoltenberg will be the next NATO Secretary-General.
Several diplomats told Reuters earlier this week that Stoltenberg, who served for a total of nearly 10 years as Norway's prime minister before losing power in elections last September, has the backing of the United States, NATO's dominant power, and Germany. A number of other countries were also rallying around his candidacy.
Earlier this week British prime minister David Cameron said in parliament Stoltenberg was a very strong candidacy.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen is due to step down later this year.
- » UK Police: Man Injured In Attack on Parliament Has Died
- » U.S. Senate to Vote on Montenegro's NATO Membership
- » Former Russian Deputy Shot in Kiev
- » Belgian Police Prevent Terrorist Act in Antwerpen
- » Erdogan Accuses Bulgaria of Unacceptable Pressure on Turks Before Elections
- » Ankara Gives 11 Days Leave to Outmigrants for Bulgaria's Elections