Jens Stoltenberg To Be Next NATO Chief
The NATO member states have agreed that the ex-prime minister of Norway Jens Stoltenberg will be the next NATO Secretary-General.
Several diplomats told Reuters earlier this week that Stoltenberg, who served for a total of nearly 10 years as Norway's prime minister before losing power in elections last September, has the backing of the United States, NATO's dominant power, and Germany. A number of other countries were also rallying around his candidacy.
Earlier this week British prime minister David Cameron said in parliament Stoltenberg was a very strong candidacy.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen is due to step down later this year.
- » Islamic State Group Claims Responsibility for Normandy Church Attack
- » Quarter of a Million Migrants Arrive by Sea in Europe so far in 2016
- » Priest Killed in Hostage Siege in Normandy
- » Erdogan, Putin to Meet in Two Weeks
- » Ansbach Attacker 'Had Islamist Videos, Addressed IS'
- » Juncker Says Turkey 'In No Position' to be EU Member