Jens Stoltenberg To Be Next NATO Chief
The NATO member states have agreed that the ex-prime minister of Norway Jens Stoltenberg will be the next NATO Secretary-General.
Several diplomats told Reuters earlier this week that Stoltenberg, who served for a total of nearly 10 years as Norway's prime minister before losing power in elections last September, has the backing of the United States, NATO's dominant power, and Germany. A number of other countries were also rallying around his candidacy.
Earlier this week British prime minister David Cameron said in parliament Stoltenberg was a very strong candidacy.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen is due to step down later this year.
- » World Commemorates Victims of Holocaust, Liberation of Auschwitz
- » Ukraine Declares State of Emergency in Donbass
- » S&P Downgrades Russia's Credit Rating to `Junk`
- » IMF Ready to Continue Support for Greece
- » Greek Fighter-Jet Crash in Spain Kills 10
- » NATO Urges Russia to Stop Supporting Separatists in Eastern Ukraine