Bulgarian Sports Journalist Assaulted in Sofia
Bulgarian sports journalist Vladimir Zarkov was attacked by an unknown man, using a spray substance.
The incident happened Thursday night, as Zarkov was leaving from his work, near Sofia's Universiada Hall. The man allegedly followed the journalist and attacked him from behind, spraying him in the eyes, Standartnews reports.
An ambulance arrived minutes later and Zarkov was taken to hospital with impaired vision. Doctors are still struggling to revive his eyesight.
The Editor-in-chief of "7 Dni Sport", the newspaper where Zarkov works, revealed that he has recently been pressured by representatives of two football clubs to "get rid of him". The editor, Yulii Moskov had told them that he cannot do so, as Zarkov is "the best football journalist in Bulgaria".
In 2007, a group of CSKA Sofia fans attacked and beat the famous sports journalist Tomislav Rusev in the center of Sofia.
Yulii Moskov added that if the Bulgarian authorities do not take proper measures on the latest case, he has international contacts which he will use to address the issue.
- » Bulgaria's Interim PM Appears in Court as Applicant
- » Bulgaria's Customs Agency Seizes 8,000 L of Dyed Fuel
- » Trafficking of 30 Endangered Jaco Parrots Prevented at Bulgarian Border
- » Bulgarians Sentenced in France over Gas Pump Skimming Attempt
- » Police Destroys Almost 10 T Of Cannabis Near Petrich
- » Sofia Court Delays Ruling on Anti-Putin Activist’s Extradition