Veselin Panteleev-Eschkenazy: I Love Impossible Causes
Veselin Panteleev-Eschkenazy was born in a family of musicians. At the age of 11, he became a concertmaster of the youth philharmonic of Professor Vladi Simeonov. He graduated the National Music Academy in Sofia. In 1990, he moved to London, where he completed a masters degree for solo performers. He is a laureate of international violin competitions in Beijing and London. He has concerts in Europe, US, South America, India and China.
He is currently concertmaster of the Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
He won the 2013 Personality in the News poll in the sphere of culture of novinite.bg, novinite.com, novinite.ru.
- Congratulations on winning our 2013 Personality in the News poll in the sphere of culture! What are personalities like in an orchestra? Apart from undisputed talent, what other qualities does a soloist need to have?
In our orchestra, which is the world's number one orchestra at the moment, all of the personalities are members of the Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. We are proud of every musician in it, taking into account that they have gone through one of the toughest competitions to become our colleague. All of them have the talent and preparation necessary to be members of this orchestra. The soloist, on their part, must be very resilient, not only on stage, but in general, including physical endurance.
I travel all over the world and I perform in places with various weather conditions in different time zones. I am expected to appear on stage in the evening and the audience expects 200% out of me. This is not easy and it takes a lot of preparation, both professional and physical.
- Your violin, a Guarneri del Jesu from 1738, is something more than an instrument. Tell us about the stories it tells, what does it symbolize for you?
My violin is this factor in my professional life which makes me the happiest violinist in the world. It really is an instrument which very few musicians have. I know this and I remember it during every concert and every moment of contact with the instrument. I am grateful! It was produced just a few years away from the violin of Paganini. The sheer fact that I have some point of contact with this legend makes me shiver every time I get some sound out of my violin.
- Do you support charity causes often? What is your personal cause?
My personal cause is to help whenever I can and whoever I can. I choose my causes. I like the so-called impossible causes most. I love long-term things, the sort of things you aspire to, then a lot of time may pass, but eventually the goal is achieved. It is important that one has a goal toward which one is strives. This makes my life meaningful.
The team of Novinite.bg upholds the belief that Bulgaria is a country of rich culture which is home to many talented young people and it allows them to fulfill their dreams through hard work. What is your opinion on that?
I absolutely agree! I hope that I am a case in point.
- What would you advise young people in Bulgaria who want to choose art as a career?
I would advise them to find the best place for their education. I also hope that we shall make Bulgaria a country which attracts them back at a certain point so that they can make art there. I am striving to achieve this. This is also one of my causes – securing dignified salaries for Bulgarian musicians and people involved in artistic activity.
- How does a world famous musician see Bulgaria's future?
With joint efforts, we can and we must make Bulgaria a desirable place to live and work. It is such a place already for people of certain professions and this is wonderful. There are many Bulgarians who return home after completing their educational programs abroad and find respectable jobs in Bulgaria. I hope that this happens for musicians one day too. Let us help them!
- » Milka Stefanova: Greeks Have Money, but Their State Doesn't
- » 'Vivacom Is Tasty Bite For Political Hyenas', Tsvetan Vasilev Tells Banker Weekly
- » Tsvetan Vasilev: I Expect of Court to Do Its Job on KTB with Precision
- » Chinese PM Li Keqiang: China to Propose Land-Sea Express Line to Europe
- » Vladimir Chukov: Free Syrian Army Will Carry Out Land Operation against Islamic State
- » Jordan Kamchev: Bulgaria, Macedonia Should Perform Jointly on Western Balkans