Tuberculosis on the Drop in Bulgaria
The number of tuberculosis cases in Bulgaria has dropped by 15% in 2013 compared to the previous year.
Last year, 1,938 cases of tuberculosis were registered around the country, while in 2012 the number was 2,280, according to preliminary data of the National Tuberculosis Prevention Program.
The number of children diagnosed with the infectious respiratory disease in Bulgaria has also declined, revealed Dr. Maria Zamfirova from the Ministry of Health.
In 2013, over 29,000 persons considered to be in the vulnerable groups for the disease, underwent screening.
March 24 is the World Tuberculosis Day, and 29 hospitals around the country will have an "Open Doors Day".
Dr. Tonka Varleva revealed that the number of tuberculosis patients in the European Union is over 68,000, with the highest number being in Romania. Bulgaria, meanwhile, ranks among the middle.
- » Bulgaria Ransk Last in Europe in Terms of Organ Donors
- » Bulgaria Owes BGN 95 M for Treatment of Bulgarian Patients in EU
- » Bulgaria's Health Insurance Fund To End 2016 With BGN 50 M Deficit
- » Bulgaria Ranks 5th in Europe in Childhood Obesity
- » Two-Thirds of Deaths in Bulgaria Linked to Cardiovascular Diseases
- » Bulgaria Ranks 46th in Bloomberg's Healthcare System Index