Cecilia Malmstrom Welcomes Bulgaria's Efforts to Solve Refugee Crisis
European Commissioner for Home Affairs Cecilia Malmstrom has arrived on a two-day visit to Bulgaria with regards to the refugee situation in the country.
"I welcome the recent steps that Bulgaria has taken to deal with the refugee wave," Malmstrom said during the conference called 'The Common European Asylum System: Challenges and perspectives', BGNES reports.
Malmstrom introduced the Common EU Asylum directive, which was adopted in Dublin.
"The European Union still faces difficulties with the arguments of solidarity, but access to the judicial system is facilitated by the new directive," she explained.
"I urge Member States to consider the appropriate mechanisms for refugee assistance. The main focus remains on the implementation of the new legislation," Malstrom claimed.
"There should be transparent laws and sufficient resources. The asylum situation will continue to change. At this stage we are united around the Common Asylum System and the citizens who have turned to us for protection," she added.
"EU Member States should take steps toward integration. Refugees in Bulgaria want to work here and to learn Bulgarian," Malmstrom said, noting that one of the issues she will discuss with Bulgaria's Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev concerns the refugee integration measures.
- » Bulgarian DPS Party Supports Georgieva's EU Foreign Policy Chief Bid
- » EIB to Assist Bulgarian Railway Infrastructure Co in Tariff Formation
- » EC Approves Bulgaria's Public Procurement Strategy 2014-2020
- » EU Regional Policy Commissioner: Bulgaria to Sign PA with EC Very Soon
- » Georgieva Is Bulgaria's EU Foreign Policy Chief Candidate - PM
- » Bulgaria's FM Vigenin 'to Be EU Commissioner Candidate'