Australia to Search 'Indefinitely' for Malaysian Airlines Plane
Australia vowed on Saturday to search indefinitely for the Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing two weeks ago.
Deputy PM Warren Tuss asserted that the day when further searching would be futile "is not in sight," as he was quoted by the BBC.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared on March 8 while en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, with 239 people on board.
No wreckage of the plane has been found in the Indian Ocean as operations to find any debris of the mysteriously disappeared aircraft have entered their third week.
Australia dispatched six planes searching across the Indian Ocean on Saturday which are to be joined by vessels of China, Japan and the United Kingdom.
Debris detected by satellites in the Indian Ocean 2500 km south-west off the Australian coast have led to Australian authorities' decision to boost the search operations.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has described the satellite images as "the first credible evidence of anything that has happened to flight MH370".
Despite previously ruling out terrorism, Malaysian authorities have suggested the plane was deliberately diverted from its course and headed toward the Malacca Straits connecting the Indian to the Pacific Ocean.
Al Jazeera reports that Malaysia itself has asked the US to provide underwater surveillance technology, which the country wants to use in search efforts.
Operations involving a number of countries are now extended to a huge area starting from the land north of Kazakhstan and ending south-west of Australia.
- » EU Slaps New Sanctions on Crimea Targeting Energy, Tourism
- » High Rates, Volatile Rouble Increase Risks to Russia’s Economy, Fitch Says
- » Putin Says Russia’s Economic Woes Will Be Over in Two Years
- » EU Parliament Approves Union's Budget for 2015
- » Bulgarian, British PMs to Meet During EU Council Summit
- » Greek Parliament Fails to Elect President in First Round