Journalist Atanas Chobanov to Head Greens EU Elections List
Atanas Chobanov, journalist and founder of the website Bivol.bg, will likely top Zelenite (The Greens)'s EU elections list.
The decision has not yet been officially announced, but he has the biggest number of votes by members of the party's leadership, Dnevnik.bg has reported.
Chobanov is known in Bulgaria with his work for websites such as BalkanLeaks and Bivol.bg, the latter claiming to provide "leaked" information on corruption and political bargaining within the ruling elite.
He explained he wanted to continue his work as a "corrective" to the politicians, which he is doing as a journalist, at a European level.
Europe, in his words, is experiencing some of Bulgaria's problems involving weakness of institutions and lack of transparency and needs to address them by changing legislation.
Chobanov said the focus of his election campaign will be an improvement to the way institutions work, as well as efforts to prevent obscure business structures from accessing public funds at both Bulgarian and European levels.
The journalist was also a candidate of the right-wing Blue Coalition at 2009's EU elections.
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session
- » EU Leaders Back Jean-Claude Juncker as EU Commission President