Bulgaria Has Formally Completed US Conditions For Visa Removal
Bulgaria has formally fulfilled the last requirement for the removal of US visas for Bulgarian citizens.
The draft intergovernmental agreement between Bulgaria and US on exchanging information on targeted terrorism surveillance, approved by Bulgaria's government on Wednesday, creates a legal framework for bilateral exchange of information with a view to preventing terrorism.
The agreement is part of the preparations for Bulgaria's inclusion in the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
The formal completion of the requirements, however, does not mean that the US visa requirement for Bulgarian citizens will be removed soon. According to publications in Bulgarian-language media, there is another obstacle – the share of visa refusals must go below 3% for the preceding fiscal year. Currently it is 19%.
In February Bulgaria asked the European Commission (EC) for support because of the lack of visa reciprocity between Bulgaria and the US, Canada and Australia.
- » Bulgaria’s Daniel Mitov Discussing EU Enlargement, Migration, Energy on Croatia Visit
- » Bulgaria's FM to Discuss Migration on Croatia Visit
- » Bulgaria to Hold Last Event as SEE Cooperation Chair on June 01
- » Daniel Mitov Discussing Migration, EU-Turkey Deal with EP’s Elmar Brok
- » Bulgaria President: 'National Effort' Needed for Bokova's UN Top Job Campaign
- » Bulgaria, Cyprus to Jointly Combat Artifacts Trafficking