Ukrainian PM to Meet Obama at White House
Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk is to meet US President Barack Obama on Wednesday.
Yatsenyuk's trip to the US comes at a tense moment, when Russia has reportedly refused negotiations with the Ukrainian government over the situation on the Crimean peninsula.
Reports by the BBC suggest that the Prime Minister is likely to discuss with Barack Obama the details of the USD 35 B package Kiev's Finance Ministry says the country needs for its struggling economy and public finances.
Yatsenyuk is visiting Kiev upon the invitation of Barack Obama, which is a sign of support to Ukraine and part of the attempts to solve Ukrainian region of Crimea's standoff.
The visit aims at confirming the pro-Western stance held by the new Ukrainian government, but also at exploring options of further US loans to Ukraine.
US President Spokesman Jay Carney announced the upcoming meeting is a clear sign that Washington deems the cabinet formed in Kiev end-February 2014 legitimate.
Days ahead of the referendum set up by Crimean authorities on whether the region should join Russia, Bloomberg agency quotes Carney as he underscored that the results of the poll will not be recognized by the US, as it contradicts basic principles of Ukrainian constitution.
The US has tried to use diplomatic pressure, authorized economic sanctions and started military maneuvers to end what the West calls a Russian incursion into Crimea.
It has also approved President Obama's request to provide USD 1 B in loan guarantees to the Ukrainian government, which is in desperate need of money to deliver on its fiscal liabilities.
- » Hollande, Putin Meet to Discuss Broad Coalition against ‘Common Enemy’
- » President Erdogan: Turkey Won’t Apologize for Shooting down Russian Bomber
- » Migrants Stranded in Greece Try to Break into Macedonia
- » Russia Plans to Strengthen Control of Turkish Food Imports
- » 15 People Killed, 10 Others Injured as Russian Helicopter Crashes in Eastern Siberia
- » EU Commission President Says Schengen Is “Partly Comatose”