Bulgarian Parliament Gives Easter Grants to All Elderly People
Elderly people in Bulgaria will receive additional sums of money with their pensions in April, when Orthodox Easter is celebrated this year.
Bulgarian lawmakers approved the decision on Tuesday, against expectations that only the lowest pension earners will benefit from the money.
Elderly people who receive an amount equal to BGN 150 will get an additional BGN 40 this Easter. Pensions up to BGN 251, which is the poverty threshold, will be granted BGN 30, and only BGN 20 will be added to higher pensions.
A total of BGN 57.7 M will be put aside from the government's budget to implement the move.
The cabinet announced that these payments are to be made for every Easter and Christmas from now on, and thus ruled out labeling their actions as "electioneering".
- » Bulgaria Govt to Spend BGN 1 M on Electric Cars for Civil Servants
- » Bulgaria's Cultural Sector Workers to Protest Against Insufficient Funding
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain 24 Illegal Migrants Near Pazardzhik
- » Bulgarian Parliament to Discuss 2016 Draft Budget
- » Bulgaria MPs Hold Minute of Silence over Paris Attacks
- » Press Freedom NGO Urges Bulgaria PM to Stop 'Harassment of Journalists'