Three-Year Settlement in Bulgaria Required for Land Sale to Foreigners
The three-year settlement requirement was passed at first reading in Bulgaria's Parliament on Tuesday.
The amendments to the Land Ownership Act were passed with 159 votes for and seven abstained. No-one voted against.
A month ago the Constitutional Court overruled the ban on land sale to foreigners and the ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) tabled amendments.
According to them, land can be bought by private persons and legal entities who have resided permanently in Bulgaria for three or more years, prior to the year in which the land is to be bought.
If a company has been registered for less than three years, will be allowed to buy land if the partners have stayed in Bulgaria for three years, without interruption.
The buyers will have to present a declaration for the origin of their funds.
- » Trips of Bulgarians Abroad Record 16.5 % Increase in July
- » Price of Natural Gas in Bulgaria May Drop by over 13.6% as of October
- » Watchdog OKs Agreement between Bulgaria’s National Power Co, ContourGlobal Maritsa East 3 TPP
- » Bulgarian Authorities Place Seals on 660 Tonnes of Fuel amid Filling Station Probes
- » US-owned TPP AES Bulgaria Finalizes Agreement with National Power Utility
- » Ambulances in Bulgaria to Reach Patients in 8-120 minutes, Depending on Urgency
The Social Contract:
Chapter 1 Article 17 of the Bulgarian Constitution
Article 17 [Property]
(1) The right to property and inheritance shall be guaranteed and protected by law.
(2) Property is private and public.
(3) Private property is inviolable.
(4) The regime applying to the different units of state and municipal property is established by law.
(5) Forcible expropriation of property in the name of state and municipal needs shall be effected only by virtue of a law, provided that these needs cannot be otherwise met, and after fair compensation has been ensured in advance.
Optimistic, I think I see your point. You're saying Russia had already lost the Crimean peninsula of the Ukraine to the Ukraine. Therefore, they should just leave it to the Ukraine. I knew we could eventually see eye to eye. Now don't go shifty-eyed on me.
that's the funny thing about Bulgaria: while the government is making illegal laws that ban the sale of land to foreigners, the President of the same country is traveling abroad - to attract foreign investors to buy land and invest in all kind of activities for which the legal possibility to buy land is mandatory.
But as long as it is about Bulgarian interests - nobody really cares in this country. It is a different story of course when it is about RUSSIAN interests...
"Bulgarian land is not for sale to greedy western jackals."
You didn't get it Yane - as usual. It's always big fun to see a moron like you trying so hard to make a fool out of himself! ROFL
First of all, foreigners and foreign companies already registered since more than years can buy land.
Second, the ban is also applied to your "beloved Slav brethren" whose a*s you lick so frequently in this forum.
Third, most of the arable land owned by foreigners in Bulgaria was and is not owned by "westerns".
"No-one voted against."
Some of them may be too dense, but most of them voted for this new amendment out of populism - despite the fact that this amendment is breaking Bulgarian law.
Bulgaria is a member of the EU, and the extension of a ban to buy land applied at EU citizens or companies owned by EU citizens is a break of the rule of non-discrimination, and therefore a break of European and Bulgarian law. EU citizens have the same rights in Bulgaria as Bulgarian citizens and it is obvious that this amendment is illegal.
Let's see what the Constitutional Court and the Court of the EU say about that amendment that is just protecting the interest of a few mutra close to the government.