Bulgaria to Start Building Intermodal Terminal in Varna in 2015
The construction of the new intermodal terminal in Bulgaria's Black Sea city of Varna may start in 2015, according to Transport Minister Danail Papazov.
Speaking Monday in Varna, Papazov noted that a working group was preparing the terms of reference of the facility.
He said that the results of the work of the experts were to be available by the end of March.
Papazov, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency (BTA), argued that the intermodal terminal would have special quays for processing containers and grain.
He told journalists that the designing of the facility would absorb around BGN 15 M.
The activities for the construction of the intermodal terminal in Varna started in the summer of 2013.
Bulgaria's Transport Ministry proposed that the terminal include Port Varna Iztok (Varna East) and railway station Varna and that the two be united in a complex.
The project is to use state funding and revenues of Port Varna and State Enterprise Port Infrastructure.
Papazov explained Monday that the ports in Varna and Burgas had signed preliminary contracts related to the construction of the South Stream gas pipeline.
He announced that the ports could offer services related to the logistics of the implementation of the gas pipeline project, adding that the Bulgarian State Railway Company (BDZ) could also be assigned such tasks.
Papazov assured that there was no need to beef up security at Bulgarian ports due to the current situation in Ukraine, stressing that the safety of the facilities had been guaranteed.
- » Bulgaria’s Economy Minister Calls for VAT Registration Threshold Hike to BGN 100 000
- » Uber Appeals Fines by Competition Protection Commission in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Antitrust Watchdog Launches Sector Analysis of Fuel Retailing Market
- » Hurried Eurozone Entry Would Have Negative Impact on Bulgaria’s Economy – Deputy PM
- » IMF ‘Stands Ready to Assist Greece’ – If Asked
- » Bulgaria Needs to Substantially Boost Innovation Performance in EU – Minister