Bulgarian Socialists' Leader Warns Against Substitution of Politics
European elections should not fall victim to the substitution of politics in Bulgaria, the ruling party's leader said.
Stanishev made his comments on Monday at a meeting of cabinet and party chiefs with the media that took place in Bulgarian capital Sofia.
Bulgarian Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski and the head of ethnic Turkish Movement of Rights and Freedoms (DPS), Lyutvi Mestan, also attended the event.
The head of the Bulgarian Socialist Party warned against what he considered the conversion of politics into "a territory of hatred, of local gossip, brawls and monopoly on the truth". He also expressed his concern over the use of hate speech, which he said was becoming more and more attractive to politicians.
In Stanishev's words, his party insists that the government step up the implementation of its program approved by Parliament, and as long as it does, it count on count on BSP's support, Bulgarian newspaper Standart quoted him as saying.
He broached tough issues in Bulgarian politics such as healthcare, such as the state of the National Health Insurance Fund, the resources of which are constantly being drained due to malfunctions and administrative abuse.
The BSP's leader vowed to put an end to vicious practices in healthcare and encouraged the cabinet to step up efforts of industrial renaissance, a prospect which is currently being widely discussed across Europe.
He also praised the leadership of the DPS, which has a few ministers in the government has drawn much criticism over some of its political stances, as well as its economic connections.
- » Director of Bulgaria’s Registry Agency Removed from Office
- » Bulgarian Parliament Adopts Changes to Electronic Communications Act
- » Bulgaria Parliament Appoints New Audit Office Head
- » Bulgaria’s Economy Minister to Chair Newly Established National Economic Council
- » Poll: Half of Bulgarians Not Intending to Vote at Forthcoming Local Elections
- » Bulgarian Parliament Votes on Anti-Discrimination Law Amendments