2008 Case over Fake Signature of Ex Sofia Mayor Borisov Enters Court
A case involving an illegal transaction with a municipally-owned plot accomplished with a fake signature of Boyko Borisov, ex Prime Minister and Sofia Mayor, has reached court.
The Sofia City Prosecutor's Office submitted the case to court after six years of investigation, according to reports of Sega daily.
All three defendants in the case, including Petar Drashkov, brother of Ivan Drashkov, former Deputy Chair of the State Agency for National Security (DANS), Ivelina Trifonova and Daniela Malinova, who worked as a registrar in the Sofia Regional Court, have been charged with large-scale fraud.
In 2008, at a time when Borisov, leader of center-right party GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria), was Sofia Mayor, he submitted a tip-off to the prosecuting authority that a plot of 14 decares in Sofia's Strelbishte residential district had been illegally acquired using a fake signature of his.
The plot was bought by the "Sida S" company of Petar Drashkov for BGN 973 000, with Borisov claiming that the money had never entered the budget of the Sofia Municipality.
The 14-decare plot was subsequently placed under mortgage for BGN 10 M and then resold to another company," Simeon 2", owned by Emil Dimitrov, former GERB MP and current member of the BASTA party of former Agriculture Minister Miroslav Naydenov.
Drashkov, who was arrested and then released, argued that he had been deceived by Trifonova, who had claimed to be a Sofia Municipality official under another name. Trifonova had allegedly demanded the money paid for the property plus a sum of EUR 3 M for bribes and had then given him a document with the fake signature of Borisov.
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths
- » Three Bulgarians Detained over Death of 71 Migrants in Truck in Austria
- » Bulgarian-Hungarian Smuggling Ring Allegedly Involved in Refugee Truck Death in Austria
- » Police in Plovdiv Bust Printing House for Fake Documents