2008 Case over Fake Signature of Ex Sofia Mayor Borisov Enters Court
A case involving an illegal transaction with a municipally-owned plot accomplished with a fake signature of Boyko Borisov, ex Prime Minister and Sofia Mayor, has reached court.
The Sofia City Prosecutor's Office submitted the case to court after six years of investigation, according to reports of Sega daily.
All three defendants in the case, including Petar Drashkov, brother of Ivan Drashkov, former Deputy Chair of the State Agency for National Security (DANS), Ivelina Trifonova and Daniela Malinova, who worked as a registrar in the Sofia Regional Court, have been charged with large-scale fraud.
In 2008, at a time when Borisov, leader of center-right party GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria), was Sofia Mayor, he submitted a tip-off to the prosecuting authority that a plot of 14 decares in Sofia's Strelbishte residential district had been illegally acquired using a fake signature of his.
The plot was bought by the "Sida S" company of Petar Drashkov for BGN 973 000, with Borisov claiming that the money had never entered the budget of the Sofia Municipality.
The 14-decare plot was subsequently placed under mortgage for BGN 10 M and then resold to another company," Simeon 2", owned by Emil Dimitrov, former GERB MP and current member of the BASTA party of former Agriculture Minister Miroslav Naydenov.
Drashkov, who was arrested and then released, argued that he had been deceived by Trifonova, who had claimed to be a Sofia Municipality official under another name. Trifonova had allegedly demanded the money paid for the property plus a sum of EUR 3 M for bribes and had then given him a document with the fake signature of Borisov.
- » Serbia Police Find Weapons, Ammo in Bulgarian Train
- » Englishwoman Reportedly Found Dead in Bulgarian Village, Murder Suspected
- » Bulgaria’s Sopharma CEO Ognian Donev Charged with BGN 63 M Tax Evasion
- » Prosecuting Authority Resubmits Indictment against ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov
- » Austrian Police Find 42 Migrants Crammed into Bulgarian-registered Van
- » Head of Bulgaria’s National Science Fund Arrested on Suspicion of Murder