Seven Women Die in EU Each Day Due to Domestic Violence
Each day in the EU seven women die because of domestic violence.
The data was presented by Bulgaria's MEP Antonia Parvanova during a discussion on combating violence against women on Saturday in Sofia.
According to the analysis between 20 and 25% of adult women in the EU become victims of physical abuse. In more than 10% this is sexual violence. A total of 45% of women become victims of violence in their lifetime.
“It is a well known fact, that in many EU member states domestic violence against women is considered a family affair and the law enforcement agencies avoid meddling in the matter,” Parvanova said. “If a man beats another man in the street, this is a crime. But if a man beats a woman, especially if they are intimate partners or spouses, the law would not consider this a crime.”
According to Parvanova, men often don't understand that they don't have the right to beat or rape their wives.
There is this court case in Bulgaria. - A husband was tried for severely beating his wife and when the judge asked him if he understood what he did and if he's sorry, the husband said “But she's my wife”. He doesn't even understand that he has no right to beat her.”
Parvanova said she has prepared a report, demanding a special EU directive for common legislation for prevention of violence against women.
- » Swedish DJ Avicii Dies Aged 28
- » Burgas Residents Want a Local Referendum because of Plant Polluting the City
- » Earthquake Measuring 4.9 on the Richter Scale in Greece
- » Nearly a Million Bulgarians have Health Problems
- » Large Oil Refinery in Texas is on Fire
- » April,20 - Hristo Prodanov is Becoming a Hero, Climbing Mount Everest Without the Use of Supplementary Oxygen