USA to Deploy Extra Fighter Jets in Lithuania
The United States will send 6 additional fighter jets to Lithuania in order to reassure its Eastern European allies over increased fears from Russia's incursion in Ukraine.
The planes, which are currently at Lakenheath air base in Britain, will be positioned in the air base in Siauliai, Lithuania, US Defense officials said quoted by the LA Times.
Upon the deployment, there will be 10 US f-15 fighter jets on Lithuanian territory. The jets are part of NATO's Baltic Air Policing Mission, meant to deter Russian violations of air space over Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The US officials have assured that the deployment of the jets is largely symbolic, in order to calm the fears of ex-Soviet NATO states which are in close proximity to the events in Ukraine.
- » Erdogan Elected Leader of Turkey's Ruling Party
- » Theresa May: 'No time to Waste' as Brexit Talks Will Start Just 11 Days After the Election'
- » Romania Аpproves Financial Support for Holocaust Survivors
- » Swedish Prosecutors to Decide on Lifting Assange Warrant
- » Greek Parliament Approves New Austerity Measures
- » IS Kills More Than 50 in Central Syria Attack
"The US officials have assured that the deployment of the jets is largely symbolic"----symbolic, sure, as well as US war ships in the Black Sea, "fresh portion" of US soldiers in Poland and "soldiers of fortune" (from USA mainly) in
Kiev. A bit alarming symbolism...