USA to Deploy Extra Fighter Jets in Lithuania
The United States will send 6 additional fighter jets to Lithuania in order to reassure its Eastern European allies over increased fears from Russia's incursion in Ukraine.
The planes, which are currently at Lakenheath air base in Britain, will be positioned in the air base in Siauliai, Lithuania, US Defense officials said quoted by the LA Times.
Upon the deployment, there will be 10 US f-15 fighter jets on Lithuanian territory. The jets are part of NATO's Baltic Air Policing Mission, meant to deter Russian violations of air space over Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The US officials have assured that the deployment of the jets is largely symbolic, in order to calm the fears of ex-Soviet NATO states which are in close proximity to the events in Ukraine.
- » Reuters: Turkey Moving Ever Closer To Becoming Authoritarian State
- » Belgium: Not All Returns of Migrants to Bulgaria Are Cancelled
- » Germany Legalises Marijuana
- » Russia Warns of 'Maidan' over Bulgarian President's Inauguration, MPs Pick Up
- » Reina Attacker 'Targeted Taksim Square' on New Year
- » Germany To Hold Parliamentary Elections on September 24
"The US officials have assured that the deployment of the jets is largely symbolic"----symbolic, sure, as well as US war ships in the Black Sea, "fresh portion" of US soldiers in Poland and "soldiers of fortune" (from USA mainly) in
Kiev. A bit alarming symbolism...