Bulgaria Ranks First in Unfortunate EU Health Statistics
Bulgaria ranks first in EU terms of stroke mortality rates, according to the Health Strategy 2014-2020.
Some 160 out of 100,000 Bulgarians die of stroke, compared to the average EU mortality of 51 people, Bulgarian Pressa reports.
According to the standardized coefficients, Bulgaria is the leader in terms of mortality caused by cancer, circulatory system diseases, cardiac diseases and some perinatal disorders, too.
An average of 592 Bulgarians out of 100,000 die of cardiovascular diseases, compared to 216 in the rest of the EU.
"There are many risk factors in Bulgaria, such as low standard of living, high numbers of smokers, high stress levels," Ivo Petrov, chair of Bulgarian Society of Cardiology told Presa Daily.
"Early prevention and control of high blood pressure are essential for decreasing stroke and heart attack mortality rates," Petrov stressed.
- » Varna Hospital To Transplant Stem Cells For Leukaemia Treatment
- » At Least BGN 0.5B More Needed for Healthcare in 2015 – Expert
- » Bulgaria's Chief Health Inspector: Ebola Threat Is Not Imminent
- » Medical Union Demands Update Of Health Insurance Fund Budget Update
- » Up to 4% Price Hike of Over-the-counter Drugs Expected in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Among Countries with Lowest Flu Vaccination Coverage