Bulgaria Ranks First in Unfortunate EU Health Statistics
Bulgaria ranks first in EU terms of stroke mortality rates, according to the Health Strategy 2014-2020.
Some 160 out of 100,000 Bulgarians die of stroke, compared to the average EU mortality of 51 people, Bulgarian Pressa reports.
According to the standardized coefficients, Bulgaria is the leader in terms of mortality caused by cancer, circulatory system diseases, cardiac diseases and some perinatal disorders, too.
An average of 592 Bulgarians out of 100,000 die of cardiovascular diseases, compared to 216 in the rest of the EU.
"There are many risk factors in Bulgaria, such as low standard of living, high numbers of smokers, high stress levels," Ivo Petrov, chair of Bulgarian Society of Cardiology told Presa Daily.
"Early prevention and control of high blood pressure are essential for decreasing stroke and heart attack mortality rates," Petrov stressed.
- » Bulgaria Spends Most Funds Allocated to Healthcare on Hospitals
- » 60% of Calls to 112 Emergency Phone Number in 2014 Were Unjustified
- » 58% of Settlements in Bulgaria to Access Emergency Care in 20 Minutes by 2020
- » Healthcare in Bulgaria Ranks Among Poorest in Europe
- » Bulgarian City Clinic to Invest BGN 200 M in Construction of Three Hospitals
- » Less than Half of Bulgarians Have Access to Emergency Medical Services within 30 Minutes