Tensions in Donetsk as Pro-Russians Seize Govt Building
Tension has been rising in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk as pro-Russian demonstrators seized a government administration building on Wednesday.
Some of the activists barged through the police protecting the area and entered the government building by smashing windows and entrances, Euronews reports. The Ukrainian flag on the roof was replaced by a Russian one.
Later, scuffles broke out between rival demonstrating fractions, leaving at least 7 people injured and a number more arrested.
The acting government in Kiev has assured that no force had been used by the authorities to protect the building, due to fears that an escalation of violence may give Russia incentives to use military force.
Donetsk, an industrial and mining center in the east of the country, has a stronghold of pro-Moscow supporters, who do not recognize the new Kiev leadership as legitimate.
- » Italy Rescues Over 4,200 Migrants in Mediterranean in 24 Hours
- » Serbia, Albania to Build EUR 1 B Nis-Durres Motorway
- » US Officially Takes Cuba Off State-Sponsored Terrorism List
- » Russia Issues Travel Ban on 89 EU Politicians
- » EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn to Visit Macedonia Tuesday
- » False Bomb Threat Fails to Disrupt FIFA Congress