Tensions in Donetsk as Pro-Russians Seize Govt Building
Tension has been rising in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk as pro-Russian demonstrators seized a government administration building on Wednesday.
Some of the activists barged through the police protecting the area and entered the government building by smashing windows and entrances, Euronews reports. The Ukrainian flag on the roof was replaced by a Russian one.
Later, scuffles broke out between rival demonstrating fractions, leaving at least 7 people injured and a number more arrested.
The acting government in Kiev has assured that no force had been used by the authorities to protect the building, due to fears that an escalation of violence may give Russia incentives to use military force.
Donetsk, an industrial and mining center in the east of the country, has a stronghold of pro-Moscow supporters, who do not recognize the new Kiev leadership as legitimate.
- » Erdogan: Summit 'Important' For Ending Tragedy in Syria
- » Singapore Sees Running Autonomous Buses on Public Roads From 2022
- » Ratko Mladic Jailed For Life Over Bosnia War Genocide
- » UK Sets Aside Extra 3 billion Pounds for Brexit Preparations
- » Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be Sworn in as President on Friday
- » Elizabeth II is Now the Oldest Head of State in the World