Bulgaria Steps Up Border Control Because of Ukraine
Bulgaria steps up the border control because of the situation in Ukraine.
According to Bulgaria's Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev, the law enforcement agencies in Ukraine currently are not efficient enough and this could give access to weapons to criminal groups.
Yovchev said that the crisis in Ukraine is very serious.
He also said that Bulgaria starts working on a national plan for handling the eventual refugee wave from Ukraine, where lives a minority of Bessarabian Bulgarians.
“Currently the risk is not very big”, Yovchev said. “But if the conflict escalates, we could expect refugees.”
- » Bulgaria, Romania Discuss Elements of NATO’s Readiness Action Plan
- » Bulgarian Troops Deployed at Border Will Not Bear Arms
- » Bulgaria Defense Ministry to Dispatch 180 Troops along Border with Turkey
- » Bulgaria’s President Calls for Defence Spending Update to Meet Pledges to NATO
- » NATO, Bulgaria See Islamic State Threat, Black Sea Tensions as Key Challenges
- » NATO Secretary General Praises Bulgarian Contribution to Alliance