Kosovo to Have Army by 2019
The current Kosovo Security Forces will be transformed into an army within the next 5 years.
The Ministry of Security Forces of Kosovo will become a Ministry of Defence by 2019, Minister Agim Ceku said.
"The mission of the Kosovo Armed Forces will be to protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Kosovo, its people and their property and protect the interests of the Kosovo Republic", Ceku was quoted by BalkanInsight.
The Kosovo Security Force was formed in 2009 and became fully operational in 2013. It has 2,500 lightly armed personnel and 800 reserve soldiers. The Armed Forces in 2019 should number 5,000, with 3,000 reserves.
Minister Ceku specified that the country's budget would have to be increased by EUR 20 M in order for the transformation to be successful. The move will first have to be approved in Parliament.
- » Turkey Demands EU Fulfil Its Promise for Visa-Free Regime by End of 2016
- » Turkey's State of Emergency Should Be Extended - Security Body
- » Vice President Georgieva To Leave EC for 1 Month
- » 5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Rhodes Island
- » Turkey Fires 87 Secret Service Employees
- » Slovakian PM Fico: Asylum Seekers Quotas Are Politically Exhausted