Ukraine Crisis Poses Threat to Bulgaria's Security -Interior Minister
The Ukraine crisis endangers Bulgaria's security due to possible disruptions to supplies of strategic raw materials such as nuclear fuel, according to Interior Minister Yovchev.
"It is difficult to make long-term forecasts now. In the short-term, the most serious threat is of disruptions to gas supplies. All other threats envisage a minimum degree of damage to national security or have a low degree of probability" Yovchev declared in Brussels on Monday, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency.
Yovchev took part in Monday's sitting of the EU Justice and Home Affairs Council in Brussels.
He assured that the intelligence and counterintelligence services had been assigned tasks and an active exchange of information was underway so that Bulgaria could respond to any change in the situation.
Yovchev pointed out that the crisis in Ukraine was very serious and predicted a relatively long period of time with no sustainable solution.
Bulgaria's Interior Minister suggested that the tensions between Ukraine and Russia could have far-reaching consequences on a regional and even global scale.
Asked to comment on the situation of Russian nationals living in Bulgaria against the backdrop of the deepening crisis in Ukraine, he said that there was no need to take special security measures so far.
"We cannot treat Ukrainian population of Bulgarian origin like the refugees from the Middle East of other parts of the world, we have to have a different approach to them" he added.
Yovchev admitted that Bulgaria was unprepared to receive refugees from Ukraine because nobody had expected such developments.
He vowed that the authorities would take steps to make sure Bulgaria was prepared for that scenario, adding that there was no data so far suggesting that it would take place.
- » Bulgaria's PM 'Not Commenting' Reports of Parliament Speaker's Presidential Nomination
- » EU Commission VP Accepts UN Top Job Nomination from Bulgaria
- » Rosen Zhelyazkov Appointed Head of Bulgarian Electronic Management Agency
- » BSP, Lyava Balgariya To Start Discussions On Non-Confidence Vote
- » DPS Leader Karadayi: Georgieva's Nomination For UN Secretary General Is Very Superficial Move
- » Bulgarian President Plevneliev Calls For Unity On New UN Secretary Nomination