Police Operation underway at Sofia Municipality, Municipal Bank
A police operation is underway at the main offices of the Sofia Municipality and the Municipal Bank.
Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova explained that prosecutors from the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office had entered the building of the Sofia Municipality, seeking to access documents, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
She said that she could not speak about the motives behind the inspection and refused to specify the type of documents that were being examined by the prosecutors.
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry informed that the operation was related to pre-trial proceedings but did not specify whether it was related to the recent drug ring bust.
At the end of last week, over 1400 kg of cocaine were intercepted through a joint operation of Bulgarian and French authorities. The cocaine shipment was coming from Latin America to Europe.
As part of the investigation, police searched the car dealership of Orlin Aleksiev, Sofia Municipal Councilor from center-right party GERB. Aleksiev complained that the measure had been part of a smear campaign against him.
Svetlozar Lazarov, Chief Secretary of Interior, told BNR on Thursday that the investigation of the drug ring bust continued and that no concrete results could be reported so far.
- » Bulgarian Ex-President's Party 'Agrees to Interact' with United Russia
- » Bulgarian Socialist Leader Heads to Moscow for Ruling Party Congress
- » Bulgaria Nationalist Leader Calls for EU In/Out Referendum after Brexit
- » Bulgaria's Rivaling Socialist Parties to Attend United Russia Congress
- » Increase of Teachers' Salaries Can be Discussed in Autumn – Bulgarian PM
- » Bulgaria Moves to Punish Preaching of Radical Islam by Imprisonment