Police Operation underway at Sofia Municipality, Municipal Bank
A police operation is underway at the main offices of the Sofia Municipality and the Municipal Bank.
Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova explained that prosecutors from the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office had entered the building of the Sofia Municipality, seeking to access documents, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
She said that she could not speak about the motives behind the inspection and refused to specify the type of documents that were being examined by the prosecutors.
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry informed that the operation was related to pre-trial proceedings but did not specify whether it was related to the recent drug ring bust.
At the end of last week, over 1400 kg of cocaine were intercepted through a joint operation of Bulgarian and French authorities. The cocaine shipment was coming from Latin America to Europe.
As part of the investigation, police searched the car dealership of Orlin Aleksiev, Sofia Municipal Councilor from center-right party GERB. Aleksiev complained that the measure had been part of a smear campaign against him.
Svetlozar Lazarov, Chief Secretary of Interior, told BNR on Thursday that the investigation of the drug ring bust continued and that no concrete results could be reported so far.
- » Consumption of Illicit Cigarettes in Bulgaria Registers Decrease
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Syrian Refugees Hidden in Romanian Truck
- » Planned Rise in Vignette Stickers’ Price Prompts Protests in Bulgaria
- » Interior Minister Notes 2.5-Fold Increase of Migratory Flow Through Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Ataka Party Protests over Downing of Russian Warplane by Turkey
- » IntMin: Bulgaria Is Not Directly Threatened by Russia-Turkey Tensions