Kiev Mayor Elections, Presidential Vote to be Simultaneous
Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada (Parliament) voted on Tuesday to hold simultaneous elections for President and Mayor of Kiev on May 25.
"The elections for Kyiv City Council and Kyiv mayor will be held simultaneously with the presidential elections in Ukraine. This will save funds", Parliament Speaker and interim President Oleksandr Turchynov stated.
A total of 331 MPs out of the 363 registered in the parliament's session hall voted in favour, Interfax agency reports.
On Tuesday, opposition leader and former heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko announced his candidacy for the presidency. Recently freed former PM Yulia Tymoshenko has still not decided whether she will run for the country's top post.
- » CoE: Grey Economy Results in Losses of EUR 40 B per year in Romania
- » Slovenia Re-Launches Privatization of 15 State-Owned Companies
- » Russia Forced to Pay USD 50 B to Former Yukos Owners
- » Romania, US to Launch Observation Flights over Russia, Belarus
- » Greek Civil Servants to Stage Strike in Athens
- » Hamas Agrees to New 24-Hour Ceasefire in Gaza