Kiev Mayor Elections, Presidential Vote to be Simultaneous
Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada (Parliament) voted on Tuesday to hold simultaneous elections for President and Mayor of Kiev on May 25.
"The elections for Kyiv City Council and Kyiv mayor will be held simultaneously with the presidential elections in Ukraine. This will save funds", Parliament Speaker and interim President Oleksandr Turchynov stated.
A total of 331 MPs out of the 363 registered in the parliament's session hall voted in favour, Interfax agency reports.
On Tuesday, opposition leader and former heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko announced his candidacy for the presidency. Recently freed former PM Yulia Tymoshenko has still not decided whether she will run for the country's top post.
- » Strong Quakes Hit Central Italy
- » Wallonia, EU Negotiation Teams Discuss New CETA Texts
- » EU States Reach Preliminary Compromise on Roaming Charges Ceiling
- » Turkey Declares Day of Coup Attempt Public Holiday
- » EU Parliament Backs Introduction of Monitoring Mechanism on All Member States
- » Montenegro's Djukanovic Not Up for New PM Term after Elections