Staff Dismissal Due to Bulgarian-Turkish Border Fence Scams
A number of Bulgaria's Defense Ministry and Interior Ministry administrative employees are up for dismissal due to Bulgarian-Turkish border fence cost miscalculations.
A dispute between Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev and Minister of Defense Angel Naydenov occurred at the latest Cabinet meeting regarding the end price of the border facility, Bulgarian Standard News reports.
As a result, Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski has suggested a full financial audit by the Ministry of Finance and the Inspectorate at the Council of Ministers.
"Anyone who has written up accounts will be punished and dismissed. I'm certain that there has been an overcharge from my experience with many similar projects," PM Oresharski said.
"The fact that the sum has increased from BGN 5M to BGN 9M shows that someone has taken advantage of a force majeure situation and has overcharged the accounts," Oresharski continued.
The outcome of the financial audit will become known by the end of this week.
The 30 km fence at the border between Bulgaria and Turkey is expected to be complete this spring. The project drew criticism from the EU and the UN that this measure for limiting the access of refugees to Bulgaria violates international law.
- » Tsvetan Tsvetanov: 'It is Possible for Bulgaria to Become Part of the Schengen Area After a Successful Presidency of the EU Council
- » Number of Refugees in Bulgaria has Decreased Significantly
- » President Rumen Radev: Only E-government Will Meet Public Expectations For Effectiveness, Transparency and Control'
- » National Theater ''Ivan Vazov'' To Be Renovated
- » President Radev: ‘Bulgaria Must Have Long-Term Security Strategy’
- » Bulgaria is Making Positive and Confident Steps Towards the Fulfillment of Almost All Recommendations under the Mechanism for Cooperation and Verification
LOL! The price keeps doubling by the millions everytime I read about this stupid little fence. Really 9 MILLION for 30 klms of barbed wire??? You can fly to the moon and back for much less than that amount of cash.
The Interior Minister and the Defense Minister had a tiff at the Cabinet meeting did they? Good. Just shows how incompetant they both are, if they are having MAJOR problems about organising and building a stupid lttle fence and the continual cost blowouts. These two couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery and they are in charge of defending our country, lol?