Border Guards Avert Yanukovych Escape Attempt
A charter plane with Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych on board was reportedly stopped from taking off by State Border Service guards in Donetsk.
"A charter plane without documents required for crossing the border was trying to take off from the airport of Donetsk today", State Border Service spokesman Serhiy Astakhov told Interfax-Ukraine, claiming Yanukovych was on board.
When inspectors arrived to check flight documentation, they were faced with a group of armed men who offered money for letting the plane take off without the needed documents, the Kyiv Post reveals.
When the inspectors refused, two armored cars drove close to the plane, from which Yanukovych descended, got into one of the two cars and left the airport.
There is no information on where the plane was trying to head.
On Saturday, Ukraine's Parliament voted to remove Yanukovych from office and to hold early elections in May. The President himself has not submitted his resignation, despite agreeing to hold early election later in the year.
- » Belgium's CALL: Bulgaria Does Not Offer Migrants Good Conditions
- » Italy Rocked by 4 Quakes in 1 Hour
- » Moldova President: Eurasian Union Ties Not Incompatible with EU Commitments
- » Antonio Tajani Elected European Parliament President
- » Turkey’s Prosecutor’s Office Demands Life Sentences for HDP Leaders
- » Theresa May: Better No Deal Than Bad Deal On Brexit