EC President Van Rompuy Welcomes Ukraine's Peace Agreement
President of the European Council Herman van Rompuy has welcomed the agreement reached between the government and the opposition in Ukraine, Friday.
Van Rompuy described it as "a necessary compromise in order to launch an indispensable political dialogue that offers the only democratic and peaceful way out of the crisis that has already caused too much suffering and bloodshed on all sides."
A statement issued in Brussels Friday afternoon added: "It is now the responsibility of all parties to be courageous and turn words into deeds for the sake of Ukraine's future."
Van Rompuy stated that the agreement was facilitated by important work by the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, Poland and the Special Representative of the President of Russia and based on the persistent efforts during the last two months by High Representative Catherine Ashton and Commissioner ?tefan F?le.
"The EU continues to stand ready to support Ukraine," the statement concluded.
- » Germany Rejects Demands to Halt Turkey's Bid to Join the European Union
- » Minimum Pension in Slovenia Reaches EUR 500
- » Angry Nationalists Storm Macedonian Parliament
- » Erdogan: ‘EU Cannot Question Our Democracy’
- » Estonia says Russia May Put Troops in Belarus to Challenge NATO
- » Angela Merkel: 'EU-Turkey Ties 'Severely Hit' by Ankara Developments'