German Athlete First to Fail Drug Test at Sochi Olympics
A German athlete has failed a drug test at the Sochi Olympics, officials said Friday, in what is the first public acknowledgement of possible doping at the Games.
The unnamed athlete gave a sample which "yielded a result that deviated from the norm," the German Olympic committee (DOSB) said in a statement, cited by Russian RIA news agency.
An International Olympic Committee (IOC) disciplinary hearing has been set for later Friday at which the athlete's "B" sample results will be revealed, the German organization said.
The IOC announced before the Olympics it was planning to carry out 2,453 tests during the Games, including 1,269 pre-competition controls, which is a record for a Winter Olympics.
So far no athlete has tested positive for banned drugs at Russia's first Winter Olympics
Germany, who are third in the medals table with eight golds and 16 medals in total, sent a total of 154 athletes to Sochi.
- » Grigor Dimitrov's Photo is Among the 17 Most Popular For 2017
- » CSKA Sofia Eliminated Ludogorets in the Bulgarian Cup Competition
- » Dimitrov Dive Volley Named Masters 1000 Golden Hot Shot (Video)
- » Ludogorets Faces Milan in the 1/16-finals of the Europa League
- » Borussia Dortmund Changed Coach after Eighth Game without Victory
- » Champions League Draw, Round of 16