Yanukovych Agrees Early Presidential Elections
Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych has agreed to hold early elections later this year.
Another part of the agreement includes the formation of a national unity government, as well as constitutional changes to limit the President's power, the BBC reports.
“I state that I initiate early presidential elections and return the 2004 Constitution by redistributing powers from the president to the parliament", Yanukovych said, quoted by ITAR-TASS.
Opposition leaders have not yet commented on the deal, and whether they back the move.
- » Five Killed in Plane Crash in US Colorado
- » EU Leaders Give Russia 7 Days to Reverse Course in Ukraine or Face New Sanctions
- » NATO to Set up 10,000-Strong Force in Response to Ukraine Crisis
- » IMF Disburses Loan Tranche to Ukraine but Says Fighting Poses Risk
- » Rasmussen: NATO Will Respect Ukraine’s Potential Decision to Join
- » EU May File WTO Complaint over Russia's Food Embargo