Bulgarian FM: EU Backs Ukraine Constitutional Changes, Early Elections
Strengthening the role of Ukraine's parliament and early presidential elections were among the topics discussed at the emergency meeting in Kiev.
This information was revealed by the Bulgarian Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin.
In an interview for the Bulgarian National Television, Vigenin stated that the measures taken by European leaders are not supposed to have immediate impact on the political situation in Ukraine, but will nevertheless send a clear message to the people in power in Ukraine.
In Vigenin's words, the sanctions will be firstly applied to a limited number of people and their span will be gradually extended. He was confident that although the EU did not succeed in standing up for its position on the conflict, it still is the only player capable of finding a solution.
A deal aimed at resolving the political crisis is expected to be signed at noon, the Ukrainian President's press service reports without elaborating on its content.
The negotiations are due to continue on Friday, including the prospects of a political deal comprising a new government, constitutional changes and parliamentary elections.
Thursday was the bloodiest day since the unrest began in November and Kiev's refusal to sign an Association Agreement with Ukraine flared violence in the capital and other cities, largely in western Ukraine.
The death toll since the renewal of the unrest in Kiev on Tuesday has reached 77, ITAR-TASS agency and other Russian-language sources have quoted the Ukrainian Health Ministry as saying.
- » Trump and Putin Held a Telephone Conversation Last Night
- » U.S. North Korea Negotiator Says Direct Diplomacy Needed
- » Bea ten Tusscher is the New Dutch Ambassador to Bulgaria
- » The Neighborhood and Friendship Agreement Between the Republic of Macedonia and Bulgaria Will be Ratified in January
- » South Korea will Seek Improvement of Relations with China
- » European Union Security Commissioner Julian King is on an Official Visit to Bulgaria