EU Foreign Minister to Discuss Ukraine at Extraordinary Meeting
EU High Representative Catherine Ashton is calling an emergency meeting of foreign ministers over the rapid deterioration of the situation in Kiev.
The information about the emergency sitting was confirmed by Sweden's Foreign Minister Carl Bildt, according to reports of dnevnik,bg.
"Excellent that Catherine Ashton has now called the FM's of EU to an extraordinary meeting in Brussels tomorrow at 14:00," Bildt said on Twitter.
Earlier on Wednesday, an extraordinary meeting of the Political and Security Committee (PSC) was organized on the topic of Ukraine.
The PSC, a permanent body within the EU, brings together ambassadorial level representatives from the EU member states.
The main functions of the PSC are keeping track of the international situation, and helping to define EU policies within the Common Foreign and Security Policy and the Common Security and Defense Policy.
One of the main topics of the sitting of foreign ministers on Thursday is expected to be sanctions against high ranking officials in Ukraine.
Clashes between anti-government protesters and police on Tuesday night claimed the lives of 25, leaving over 240 people injured.
The demonstrations have been going on for over three months, after President Viktor Yanukovych backed out of a strategic deal with the EU in exchange for a in exchange for a USD 15 B bailout from Russia.
- » US Air Strikes Help Iraq Repel IS Offensive on Mosul Dam
- » European Parliament Approves Jean-Claude Juncker Commission
- » New European Commission To Be Voted Wednesday In Strasbourg
- » UK to Send Spy Drones Over Syria in Broadening of Anti-IS Campaign
- » Turkey Adopts Tough Measures Against Violation of Public Order
- » Russian State Telecom To Launch Counterpart of Skype