EU Foreign Minister to Discuss Ukraine at Extraordinary Meeting
EU High Representative Catherine Ashton is calling an emergency meeting of foreign ministers over the rapid deterioration of the situation in Kiev.
The information about the emergency sitting was confirmed by Sweden's Foreign Minister Carl Bildt, according to reports of dnevnik,bg.
"Excellent that Catherine Ashton has now called the FM's of EU to an extraordinary meeting in Brussels tomorrow at 14:00," Bildt said on Twitter.
Earlier on Wednesday, an extraordinary meeting of the Political and Security Committee (PSC) was organized on the topic of Ukraine.
The PSC, a permanent body within the EU, brings together ambassadorial level representatives from the EU member states.
The main functions of the PSC are keeping track of the international situation, and helping to define EU policies within the Common Foreign and Security Policy and the Common Security and Defense Policy.
One of the main topics of the sitting of foreign ministers on Thursday is expected to be sanctions against high ranking officials in Ukraine.
Clashes between anti-government protesters and police on Tuesday night claimed the lives of 25, leaving over 240 people injured.
The demonstrations have been going on for over three months, after President Viktor Yanukovych backed out of a strategic deal with the EU in exchange for a in exchange for a USD 15 B bailout from Russia.
- » Hundreds of Migrants Feared Dead as Boat Sinks off Libya
- » Greek President Appoints Caretaker Prime Minister Ahead of Early Elections
- » Austrian Authorities Find At Least Twenty Dead Migrants in Truck
- » Don’t Take Hitchhikers in Greece, Bulgaria Tells Its Motorists
- » Hungary Fires Tear Gas to Prevent Migrants to Leave Reception Centre
- » Serbia, Kosovo Mark Progress in Relations After Signing Four Key Agreements