Bulgarian Roma Protest as Appellate Court Releases Killer
Bulgarian guard accused of murder was released on bail Tuesday triggering off immense reactions among supporters and protesters outside the Sofia Court House.
Some 200 people gathered Tuesday morning as the Court of Appeals let out on BGN 5000 bail Petko Elenkov, who shot dead a 16-year-old Roma boy and wounded his brother in a warehouse in the capital city Sofia in March 2013.
The family of the killed boy and their relatives and friends reacted strognly to the Appellate Court's verdict. A few days ago Roma protesters blocked the road to Sofia airport and threatened to take the law in their hands if the 50-year old guard was released.
Tsvetelin Kanchev, leader of the Bulgarian Evroroma party, showed his support to the family of the 16-year-old Velin Krastyov as the parents of the victim demanded a just sentence.
Among the supporters of the security guard was Angel Dzhambazki, vice-chair of the nationalist VMRO party accompanied by football fans.
Despite the exchange of backchat on both sides, the conflict did not escalate.
- » Bulgaria's Nuclear Institute: New Cyclotron To Become Operational in 2 Years
- » Bulgarian Parliament to Begin Every Session with National Anthem
- » Bulgarian MPs Approve Aid for Unemployed Who Find Work Far from Hometown
- » Orthodox Christians Hail St Demetrius
- » Bulgaria's President: New Education Models Must Reflect Migration, Demographic Problems
- » Over 60 Cases of Pedophiles Online Uncovered So Far in 2016 in Bulgaria
Only way to stop people from thieving given they know the risks. Enter illegally a property, property that be secure, with guards, the intention to thieve, the property owner has a right to defend and it should never be a guard that's on trial.
Should serve as a warning to property owners that correct warning signs should be displayed. DANGER OF DEATH.
The discrimination towards the Roma, community must end and should end with an application of equal law. Because all to often they get away with crime on the basis of ethnicity.