Bulgarian Roma Protest as Appellate Court Releases Killer
Bulgarian guard accused of murder was released on bail Tuesday triggering off immense reactions among supporters and protesters outside the Sofia Court House.
Some 200 people gathered Tuesday morning as the Court of Appeals let out on BGN 5000 bail Petko Elenkov, who shot dead a 16-year-old Roma boy and wounded his brother in a warehouse in the capital city Sofia in March 2013.
The family of the killed boy and their relatives and friends reacted strognly to the Appellate Court's verdict. A few days ago Roma protesters blocked the road to Sofia airport and threatened to take the law in their hands if the 50-year old guard was released.
Tsvetelin Kanchev, leader of the Bulgarian Evroroma party, showed his support to the family of the 16-year-old Velin Krastyov as the parents of the victim demanded a just sentence.
Among the supporters of the security guard was Angel Dzhambazki, vice-chair of the nationalist VMRO party accompanied by football fans.
Despite the exchange of backchat on both sides, the conflict did not escalate.
- » Nationalists Attack Ukrainian Anti-Night Wolves Demo in Bulgaria's Burgas
- » Rainfall, Winds Expected in Bulgaria on Wednesday
- » Search Team Finds Dead Body of Missing Young Man in Bulgaria’s Maritsa River
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Provides BGN 26 M to Municipalities for Education
- » Body of Girl Found Nearly Month After She Went Missing in Danube River Near Bulgaria's Silistra
- » Man Dies After Pursuit with Police in Bulgaria's Plovdiv
Only way to stop people from thieving given they know the risks. Enter illegally a property, property that be secure, with guards, the intention to thieve, the property owner has a right to defend and it should never be a guard that's on trial.
Should serve as a warning to property owners that correct warning signs should be displayed. DANGER OF DEATH.
The discrimination towards the Roma, community must end and should end with an application of equal law. Because all to often they get away with crime on the basis of ethnicity.