600 km of Razor Wire Needed for Bulgarian-Turkish Border Fence
The 30 km fence at the border between Bulgaria and Turkey will require 600 km razor wire, 12 000 posts, 4 000 m³ concrete and 30 km chain-link fence.
The fence was planned last autumn as a measure against the illegal border crossings of people seeking asylum in Bulgaria.
It will cost BGN 9.6 M, of which, according to Defense Minister Angel Naydenov, BGN 8.1 M are for construction materials.
The initial price was by BGN 4 M less, but it turned out that the estimates were incorrect.
The discrepancies prompted Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski to order last week a full financial audit of the project.
“Each eventual misuse of money for the construction of the border fence will be considered marauding”, Naydenov said for Bulgaria's public broadcaster BNT. “There will be no compromise.”
According to Naydenov the construction will be complete this spring. The project drew criticism from the EU and the UN that this measure for limiting the access of refugees to Bulgaria violates international law.
- » Bulgaria Socialist Leader Takes Shocking Pictures of Bulgaria-Serbia Road
- » Bulgaria Improves Ranking in Freedom House Report on Press Freedom
- » Bulgarian Private TV7 Channel Could Stop Broadcasting as Bailiff Enters Media
- » No Bulgarians in Nepal Board Evacuation Plane Provided by MFA
- » Foreign Ministry Provides Evacuation Option to Bulgarians in Nepal
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Deems Cabinet Reshuffles Pointless