600 km of Razor Wire Needed for Bulgarian-Turkish Border Fence
The 30 km fence at the border between Bulgaria and Turkey will require 600 km razor wire, 12 000 posts, 4 000 m? concrete and 30 km chain-link fence.
The fence was planned last autumn as a measure against the illegal border crossings of people seeking asylum in Bulgaria.
It will cost BGN 9.6 M, of which, according to Defense Minister Angel Naydenov, BGN 8.1 M are for construction materials.
The initial price was by BGN 4 M less, but it turned out that the estimates were incorrect.
The discrepancies prompted Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski to order last week a full financial audit of the project.
“Each eventual misuse of money for the construction of the border fence will be considered marauding”, Naydenov said for Bulgaria's public broadcaster BNT. “There will be no compromise.”
According to Naydenov the construction will be complete this spring. The project drew criticism from the EU and the UN that this measure for limiting the access of refugees to Bulgaria violates international law.
- » From Today, the Traffic in Downtown Sofia is Changing Due to Construction of the Subway
- » Parliament Passed Amendments to the Tourism Act
- » The Repair of Popular Grafa Street in the Center of Sofia Starts on May 8th
- » Economists Forecast 4.4% GDP Growth for Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Head of State Convenes National Security Council Today
- » Minister Nankov: The whole Route of the Hemus Highway can be Completed by 2025.