200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » Macedonia's SDSM Poised to Get Govt Mandate after Deal with Albanians
- » Thousands Stage Pro-Govt Rally in Southern Romania
- » Germany Not To Allow Erdogan's Meeting for Referendum on Constitutional Amendments
- » European MPs To Call On EC To Reinstate Visa Regime for US Citizens
- » 136 Turkish Diplomats Request Asylum in Germany
- » BSP's Ninova Nominated for Vice President of Socialist International