200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » Ariana Grande Concert: Deaths After Reported Blast
- » Erdogan Elected Leader of Turkey's Ruling Party
- » Theresa May: 'No time to Waste' as Brexit Talks Will Start Just 11 Days After the Election'
- » Romania Аpproves Financial Support for Holocaust Survivors
- » Swedish Prosecutors to Decide on Lifting Assange Warrant
- » Greek Parliament Approves New Austerity Measures