200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » Kiev Accuses Moscow of Having 7500 Troops Deployed in Ukraine
- » Sergey Lavrov: Western Sanctions Aimed at Toppling Russian Regime
- » Japanese PM Dissolves Parliament Ahead of Early Elections
- » Ukraine's Pro-Western Parties Sign Coalition Agreement
- » Putin Says Russia Should Prevent 'Colour Revolutions'
- » Germans Divided over Sanctions on Russia - ARD Survey