200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » Gunfight Between Security Forces, Armed Group Kills at Least 43 in Mexico
- » IS Claims Responsibility for Suicide Attack on Shiite Mosque in Saudi Arabia
- » Russia Warns Google, Twitter, Facebook of Possible Blocking of Services
- » At Least 30 Casualties as Suicide Bomber Targets Shia Mosque in Saudi Arabia
- » Kristalina Georgieva Appointed Co-Chair to UN Humanitarian Financing Panel
- » David Cameron Vows to Seize Pay of Illegal Migrants Working in UK