200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » Helicopter with Thirteen People on Board Crashes off Norway
- » Austria Adopts New Tougher Asylum Law
- » Suicide Bombing in Turkey’s Bursa Injures at least 13 People
- » Spain to Hold Early Election in June amid Political Deadlock
- » Almost 182,000 Migrants Enter Europe by Sea since Start of 2016
- » Bulgaria President Dismisses Attacks over Joint Brigade with Ukraine