200 Miners Trapped in Abandoned Gold Mine in South Africa
Rescue workers are trying to reach over 200 illegal miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg.
Emergency services spokesperson Werner Vermaak told the South African Press Service that rescuers had managed to contact a group of about 30 miners trapped at the old mine site in Benoni.
Vermaak was quoted by the CBS news as saying that no casualties or serious injuries had been reported so far.
The opening to the abandoned mine shaft was blocked by large boulders.
Rescue teams are trying to remove the boulders obstructing the shaft.
Illegal mining is common in South Africa and fatal accidents are common.
- » One Ukrainian, One Iranian Reported as Victims of Istanbul Airport Terror Attack
- » Sofia Airport Heightens Security Measures After Ataturk Airport Attack
- » Putin to Call Erdogan over Phone Wednesday
- » Britain Will Have to Raise Taxes, Cut Spending after Vote to Leave EU
- » Russia Confirms Readiness to Build South Stream in Case of Guaranteed EU Demand for Gas
- » Migrant Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 222,000 in 2016 - IOM