Putin Warns Against Mixing Sports with Politics
Russian President Vladimir Putin has reiterated his stance that sports should not be mixed with politics.
The remark was made in response to a question from a foreign journalist about whether a perceived liberalization ahead of the Games – a reference to the release from jail of several high-profile prisoners – meant there was “hope for Russia.”
“There is hope that you will never link sport with politics. Is there such hope? I think so,” said Putin, as cited by RIA Novosti.
Russia came under fire ahead of the Winter Olympic Games, which opened February 7 in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, in particular over a law introduced last year banning the “promotion of non-traditional sexual relations to minors.” Human rights activists around the world have slammed the law for discriminating against the LGBT community.
Putin was speaking to journalists in the Olympic Village ahead of attending a much-anticipated hockey match between Russia and the United States.
The US won the match 3:2 after a dramatic penalty shootout.
- » Tsvetana Pironkova Will Have to Pass the Qualifiers of the US Open
- » Levski Signs Former Manchester United Player
- » Levski Sofia is Out and Botev Plovdiv Crushed its Opponent Last Night in Europa League
- » Ludogorets did not Disappoint and Goes to the Next Round
- » Ludogorets Faces Jalgiris Tonight After a Loss in the First Leg in a Battle for the Champions League
- » Football Legend Francesco Totti Confirms Retirement