Putin Warns Against Mixing Sports with Politics
Russian President Vladimir Putin has reiterated his stance that sports should not be mixed with politics.
The remark was made in response to a question from a foreign journalist about whether a perceived liberalization ahead of the Games – a reference to the release from jail of several high-profile prisoners – meant there was “hope for Russia.”
“There is hope that you will never link sport with politics. Is there such hope? I think so,” said Putin, as cited by RIA Novosti.
Russia came under fire ahead of the Winter Olympic Games, which opened February 7 in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, in particular over a law introduced last year banning the “promotion of non-traditional sexual relations to minors.” Human rights activists around the world have slammed the law for discriminating against the LGBT community.
Putin was speaking to journalists in the Olympic Village ahead of attending a much-anticipated hockey match between Russia and the United States.
The US won the match 3:2 after a dramatic penalty shootout.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Becomes Honorary Citizen of Varna
- » Clashes Break Out In Argentina After World Cup Defeat
- » Germany Crowned World Cup Champion After Defeating Argentina
- » Germany Footballers Decided Not To Humiliate Brazil
- » Corinna Schumacher: Michael Schumacher Is Getting Better
- » Argentina Defeats Netherlands, Reaches World Cup Finals