Bulgaria Launches Valentine's Day AIDS Campaign
Bulgarian Health Ministry is organizing a nation-wide informational anti-AIDS campaign on Valentine's Day.
The campaign, titled "Life is Priceless," aims to promote safe sex among the country's population, as well as a more tolerant attitude towards those who are living with AIDS.
It includes a number of concerts, games and free and anonymous consultations and HIV tests across Bulgaria.
All 28th regional health inspectorates, 48 municipalities, 49 NGOs, and many schools will participate in the campaign, which is held for the 11th year in a row.
There will be a number of initiatives in all regional centers.
In the capital Sofia, in Mall Paradise, in the afternoon, volunteers from the Association "Children and Teens" and the Association of Medical Students will conduct games and will inform those wishing about safe sex and HIV and AIDS prevention. A concert will be held as well.
Free tests for HIV will be offered in a mobile medical office located near the Mall's VIP entrance.
There will be information kiosks in Sofia to distribute brochures and condoms. Mobile teams will also distribute informational materials.
On February 14, many people in Bulgaria will wear red ribbon in the form of inverted "V". The idea of this symbol of suffering, supporting and hope for the future without AIDS was suggested by an American painter Frank Muru.
The red ribbon is the universal symbol of awareness and support for those living with HIV. The red ribbon was the first ever ribbon symbol, inspiring later versions such as the pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness.
- » Bulgaria Wins Praise for Achievements in Fighting HIV/AIDS
- » Bulgaria to Set up Advisory National Food Board
- » Bulgarian Midwife Guilty of Baby Beating Released on Bail
- » Minumum Risk of Zika Virus Spreading to Bulgaria After First Registered Case in Romania
- » Bulgaria Splits Medical Care Services into Basic and Complementary Packages
- » Fingerprint Identification to be Introduced in Bulgarian Hospitals by September 25