Bulgarian MEP: Macedonia Derides Bulgaria's Culture and History
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia continues to deride Bulgaria's culture and history, said Bulgaria's MEP Andrey Kovachev on his website.
His comment was prompted by the information that the Macedonian Film Fund is sponsoring with half a million euro a film on the last king of the First Bulgarian Kingdom, Samuil.
"Judging by the available information, Macedonia would once again attempt a gross historical manipulation and will try to suggest that Tsar Samuil is a "Macedonian" king, in line with the current stance on Skopje", Kovachev wrote.
"Without denying the artistic freedom of the director Antonio Mitrikevski, his media statements disclose his real intentions, which have nothing to do neither with art, nor with history."
According to Kovachev, the replacement of established historical facts with artistic fiction was "outright propaganda, sponsored with taxpayers' money"."Placing made-up statements in Samuil's mouth, such as "I am king of the Holy Macedonian kingdom" is a cheap pathetic lie."
- » Bulgaria Defense Ministry to Dispatch 180 Troops along Border with Turkey
- » Two Bulgarian Nationals Arrested in Libya for Alleged Smuggling
- » Finance Ministry Reverses Controversial Changes to Pension Insurance
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Makes Governance Programme Public
- » Bulgaria Foresees New Investments for Municipalities Hosting Refugees
- » Proposal to Increase Social Insurance Could Lead to Higher Unemployment - CEIB