Bulgarian MEP: Macedonia Derides Bulgaria's Culture and History
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia continues to deride Bulgaria's culture and history, said Bulgaria's MEP Andrey Kovachev on his website.
His comment was prompted by the information that the Macedonian Film Fund is sponsoring with half a million euro a film on the last king of the First Bulgarian Kingdom, Samuil.
"Judging by the available information, Macedonia would once again attempt a gross historical manipulation and will try to suggest that Tsar Samuil is a "Macedonian" king, in line with the current stance on Skopje", Kovachev wrote.
"Without denying the artistic freedom of the director Antonio Mitrikevski, his media statements disclose his real intentions, which have nothing to do neither with art, nor with history."
According to Kovachev, the replacement of established historical facts with artistic fiction was "outright propaganda, sponsored with taxpayers' money"."Placing made-up statements in Samuil's mouth, such as "I am king of the Holy Macedonian kingdom" is a cheap pathetic lie."
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Discussing Energy Projects, Sanctions Policy on Washington Visit
- » EC Takes Bulgaria to Court over Insufficient Protection of Endangered Birds
- » Bulgarian Army Ready to Boost Assistance to Police in Border Protection, Def Min Says
- » Bulgarians Expect Situation in Turkey to Worsen after Failed Coup Attempt - Poll
- » EU Asks Bulgaria to Comply with Rules for Energy Consumption of Buildings
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Starts U.S. Visit with Meetings on Energy, Trade