Bulgaria Drops to 100th in Press Freedom Index
Bulgaria has dropped 13 places and is now 100th in the World Press Freedom Index of Reporters Without Borders.
"Although closely challenged by Greece, Bulgaria retains the status of lowest ranked European Union country after a trying year marked by five months of major protests and political tension", the report notes.
"Reporters were repeatedly the victims of police violence during these demonstrations calling for the government's resignation. Independent journalists, especially investigative reporters, are meanwhile exposed to harassment that can take the form of arson attacks on their cars", the report adds.
Finland, the Netherlands, and Norway retain their top 3 positions.
- » MEPs Oppose South Stream, Seek Sanctions against Russian Energy Firms
- » EC Rejects Suspending Rural Development Payments to Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria "Could Remain EU's Poorest Country Even after 2020"
- » MEPs Seek Mandatory "Made-in" Labeling to Boost Product Safety
- » EP Approves Right to Basic Bank Account for All EU Residents
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Urges EU to Guarantee Russian Gas Supplies