French TV Devotes Program to Bulgaria’s Solomon and Gergana Passy
French Arte TV channel has aired a report on EU uniform mobile phone chargers which were introduced in 2011, based on the idea of the family of former Bulgarian FM Solomon Passy.
The Vox Pop TV program presented the history of the uniform chargers Sunday, the adoption of which was a suggestion of the family of Solomon and Gergana Passy.
Such devices would help decrease electronic waste by 50,000 tons per year.
The reportage stated that both Solomon and Gergana Passy are influential politicians, a fact that has helped for the swift adoption of the idea which occurred to them in 2008.
Gergana Passy is Bulgaria’s former EU Affairs Minister and Solomon Passy is President of the Atlantic Club of Bulgaria and former Foreign Minister and chairperson of the Foreign policy committee with the National Assembly.
Solomon Passy presented the idea to the Bulgarian authorities, and only three months later, the European Commission has agreed to support it, the authors of the report told.
The EC has introduced the requirement to add uniform chargers as part of the accessories of each new mobile phone in the EU.
The authors of the report visited Bulgaria’s capital city Sofia and noted that while telephone booths have become obsolete, more than 2 M mobile phones were sold in the country in 2013.
“The idea occurred to us naturally, we asked ourselves why in the 21st century, the time of global connections, there are so many different phone chargers,” Gergana Passy told the Arte TV channel.
“It is always easier to change things from inside the institutions rather than from the outside,” Solomon Passy explained the rapid adoption of the idea in Brussels.
The French reporters noted with disappointment that for now mobile device manufacturers have managed to avoid the EC formal requirements and continue to sell mobile phone chargers with each device.
Thus, so far the positive effect on environment has been hardly noticeable, the reportage concludes.
- » Conference on Long-term Sustainability and Innovation Infrastructures to Industry and Society
- » International Conference on the Future of Work
- » EU Presidency Puts Lagging Bulgarian Science in the Spotlight
- » The European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) Executive Board Meeting
- » Fighting "Energy Poverty'' Will be Discussed Today at a Conference, Part of the Program of the Bulgarian EU Presidency
- » International Architecture Forum at the National Palace of Culture Dedicated to the Western Balkans