Russian Teenage Skater Becomes Youngest Olympic Champion
Yulia Lipnitskaya became the youngest ever Winter Olympic gold medalist at just 15, taking the podium with Russia's figure skaters in the team competition.
This was also the hosts' first gold medal at the Sochi games. The magnificent triumph of the teenage Russian and the veteran Yevgeny Plushchenko was watched live in the Iceberg Skating Palace by President Vladimir Putin.
"I don't think this was my best. I was a little bit nervous after Yevgeny got first because my main motivation was not to let the team down", the humble teenage champion commented.
Russia topped 5 of the 8 segments of the team competition, earning 75 points. The silver medal went to Canada, with 65 points, while the United States took bronze with 60.
- » Ludogorets Loses 1-2 to Liverpool in Champions League Clash
- » Bulgaria Men's Volleyball Team Loses to Finland
- » Bulgaria Drops Out of Volleyball Men's World Championship after Losing to Germany
- » Michael Schumacher Discharged from Hospital to Continue Recovery at Home
- » Bulgaria Defeats Azerbaijan 2:1 in UEFA Euro Qualifier
- » 16 Bulgarians To Participate In Special Olympics