Russian Teenage Skater Becomes Youngest Olympic Champion
Yulia Lipnitskaya became the youngest ever Winter Olympic gold medalist at just 15, taking the podium with Russia's figure skaters in the team competition.
This was also the hosts' first gold medal at the Sochi games. The magnificent triumph of the teenage Russian and the veteran Yevgeny Plushchenko was watched live in the Iceberg Skating Palace by President Vladimir Putin.
"I don't think this was my best. I was a little bit nervous after Yevgeny got first because my main motivation was not to let the team down", the humble teenage champion commented.
Russia topped 5 of the 8 segments of the team competition, earning 75 points. The silver medal went to Canada, with 65 points, while the United States took bronze with 60.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Defeats David Goffin, Reaches US Open 4th Round
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets To Face Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bazel
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Scores US Open 1st Round Win against American Ryan Harrison
- » Bulgaria’s Ludogorets Reaches UEFA Champions League Group Stage
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Starts US Open With Victory
- » Boxing Match Kubrat Pulev – Wladimir Klitschko Is Postponed