Russian Teenage Skater Becomes Youngest Olympic Champion
Yulia Lipnitskaya became the youngest ever Winter Olympic gold medalist at just 15, taking the podium with Russia's figure skaters in the team competition.
This was also the hosts' first gold medal at the Sochi games. The magnificent triumph of the teenage Russian and the veteran Yevgeny Plushchenko was watched live in the Iceberg Skating Palace by President Vladimir Putin.
"I don't think this was my best. I was a little bit nervous after Yevgeny got first because my main motivation was not to let the team down", the humble teenage champion commented.
Russia topped 5 of the 8 segments of the team competition, earning 75 points. The silver medal went to Canada, with 65 points, while the United States took bronze with 60.
- » Tsvetana Pironkova Will Have to Pass the Qualifiers of the US Open
- » Levski Signs Former Manchester United Player
- » Levski Sofia is Out and Botev Plovdiv Crushed its Opponent Last Night in Europa League
- » Ludogorets did not Disappoint and Goes to the Next Round
- » Ludogorets Faces Jalgiris Tonight After a Loss in the First Leg in a Battle for the Champions League
- » Football Legend Francesco Totti Confirms Retirement