Socialist MEPs Defend Bulgarian EU Commissioner against BSP Critics
European Socialist MEPs have backed Bulgaria's EU Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva amid criticism from a senior member of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP).
Bulgarian socialist MEP Iliana Iotova accused Georgieva, EU Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, of unsatisfactory fulfillment of job duties, arguing that "some circles in Brussels" were unhappy with her work in countries in need of humanitarian aid, according to reports of EurActiv.
Iotova suggested that Georgieva had not done enough to help Bulgaria address the problem of growing refugee numbers.
British Labour MEP Michael Cashman from the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament insisted that Bulgarians had to be proud of Georgieva's achievements as her work ranked amongst the highest in the European Commission.
Cashman, a member of the European Parliament development committee which oversees Georgieva's portfo, argued that Georgieva's work was undeniably characterized by accountability, transparency and commitment.
Dutch MEP Thijs Berman from the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament expressed regret over the fact that Iotova had decided to attack Georgieva, describing the Bulgarian EU Commissioner as "one of the best, if not the best commissioner."
Berman underscored Georgieva's efficiency, dedication and perseverance in the struggle to cope with the lack of funding.
French Green MEP Eva Joly also drew attention to Georgieva's contribution, stressing that it was thanks to her efforts that the EU was doing everything possible to help the most vulnerable populations during major humanitarian crises such as the ones in Haiti, Syria, Sudan or the Central African Republic.
- » The President Rumen Radev to Meet the Vice-President of the European Commission
- » The Minister of Transport and Information Technologies to Work for 5G Mobile Network in Bulgaria
- » Maria Gabriel: 'No One in Brussels Knows About the Scandal in Relation to NDK'
- » It is Expected Italy to Confirm its Position About Accepting Bulgaria in Schengen
- » Bulgarian Leaders to Take Place in a Trilateral Summit in Thessaloniki
- » EU Ready to Finance Rail Link Between Bulgaria and Macedonia