Merkel Furious at Nuland's Ukraine Comment
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has criticized a top US diplomat's use of an expletive in commenting on the EU's handling of the Ukraine political crisis.
US official Victoria Nuland was allegedly recorder using a graphic swear word while discussing the crisis in Ukraine with the US ambassador to the country.
A recording of the apparently tapped conversation was posted online, with the US hinting at Russia's involvement.
"The chancellor considers this statement absolutely unacceptable ... and wants to emphasize again that [EU foreign policy chief Catherine] Ashton is doing an outstanding job," Merkel's spokeswoman said on Friday, as cited by The Local.
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine."
- » Mysterious Flags in Kiev Downtown: Russian or Bulgarian?
- » Eurogroup Waiting for New Reform Proposal from Greece
- » Stoltenberg Welcomes Montenegro’s Progress on Path to NATO
- » Nuclear Talks with Iran to Go on Past Tuesday, EU’s Mogherini Says
- » EU Commission, Parliament Presidents Express Opposition to Grexit
- » Hungarian Parliament Approves Construction of Border Fence
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine" - and it's the KEY words........................