Merkel Furious at Nuland's Ukraine Comment
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has criticized a top US diplomat's use of an expletive in commenting on the EU's handling of the Ukraine political crisis.
US official Victoria Nuland was allegedly recorder using a graphic swear word while discussing the crisis in Ukraine with the US ambassador to the country.
A recording of the apparently tapped conversation was posted online, with the US hinting at Russia's involvement.
"The chancellor considers this statement absolutely unacceptable ... and wants to emphasize again that [EU foreign policy chief Catherine] Ashton is doing an outstanding job," Merkel's spokeswoman said on Friday, as cited by The Local.
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine."
- » Erdogan Says Turkey Could Sent Millions of Migrants to Europe
- » NATO Ships in Aegean to Help EU Stem People Smuggling
- » Protesting Greek Farmers Renew Blockades Along Bulgarian-Greek Border
- » Serbia Ready to Follow Suit if Others on Balkan Migrant Route Close Borders
- » Macedonia Calls for EU-wide Solution to Migrant Crisis
- » France's Foreign Minister 'Steps Down'
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine" - and it's the KEY words........................