Merkel Furious at Nuland's Ukraine Comment
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has criticized a top US diplomat's use of an expletive in commenting on the EU's handling of the Ukraine political crisis.
US official Victoria Nuland was allegedly recorder using a graphic swear word while discussing the crisis in Ukraine with the US ambassador to the country.
A recording of the apparently tapped conversation was posted online, with the US hinting at Russia's involvement.
"The chancellor considers this statement absolutely unacceptable ... and wants to emphasize again that [EU foreign policy chief Catherine] Ashton is doing an outstanding job," Merkel's spokeswoman said on Friday, as cited by The Local.
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine."
- » Desecrated Bulgarian Memorial Plaque 'Was Illegal', Skopje Says
- » Macedonia's PM 'Promised to React' on Bulgarian Monument Desecration
- » Turkey Raises Concerns over US Arming of Syrian Kurds
- » EU Council Head Calls for Stricter External Border Control
- » EIB OKs EUR 7.3 B for Investment in Europe
- » New Quake Hits Romania's Vrancea
"The European Union will continue with its intensive efforts to calm the situation in Ukraine" - and it's the KEY words........................