Bulgaria's Cheparinov Wins Prestigious Gibraltar Chess Tournament
Bulgaria's Ivan Cheparinov grabbed the title at Gibraltar's Tradewise Chess Festival, one of the world's strongest open tournaments.
In the final of the event, which had attracted 256 different players including over 60 grand masters, the Bulgarian faced off and defeated Russia's Nikita Vitiugov (1.5:0.5 points).
Vitiugov had the ambition to defend the title he won in 2013 but Cheparinov outplayed him in the rapid play games.
The 27-year-old Cheparinov was seeded 17th in this years tournament and is 75th in the world.
- » Bulgaria's Ex Volleyball Coach Takes Over Iran's National Team
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Reaches Australian Open Quarter-Finals
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Gasquet in 3rd Round of Australian Open
- » Grigor Dimitrov Qualifies for Australian Open's 3rd Round
- » Grigor Dimitrov Makes It Past 1st Round at Australian Open
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov to Face World's No 231 in 1st Australian Open Game