Bulgaria's Cheparinov Wins Prestigious Gibraltar Chess Tournament
Bulgaria's Ivan Cheparinov grabbed the title at Gibraltar's Tradewise Chess Festival, one of the world's strongest open tournaments.
In the final of the event, which had attracted 256 different players including over 60 grand masters, the Bulgarian faced off and defeated Russia's Nikita Vitiugov (1.5:0.5 points).
Vitiugov had the ambition to defend the title he won in 2013 but Cheparinov outplayed him in the rapid play games.
The 27-year-old Cheparinov was seeded 17th in this years tournament and is 75th in the world.
- » Sepp Blatter Re-Elected as FIFA President
- » Bulgarian Football Union to Announce Fate of CSKA, Lokomotiv Sofia on June 1
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Proceeds to Third Round of Roland Garros
- » Bulgaria's Sesil Karatancheva Defeated in Second Round of Roland Garros
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Suffers Heavy Defeat, Ousted at Opening of Roland Garros
- » Bulgaria's Sesil Karatancheva Beats Former No.1 at Opening of Roland Garros