Bulgaria's Cheparinov Wins Prestigious Gibraltar Chess Tournament
Bulgaria's Ivan Cheparinov grabbed the title at Gibraltar's Tradewise Chess Festival, one of the world's strongest open tournaments.
In the final of the event, which had attracted 256 different players including over 60 grand masters, the Bulgarian faced off and defeated Russia's Nikita Vitiugov (1.5:0.5 points).
Vitiugov had the ambition to defend the title he won in 2013 but Cheparinov outplayed him in the rapid play games.
The 27-year-old Cheparinov was seeded 17th in this years tournament and is 75th in the world.
- » Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev to Box Maurice Harris in Hamburg on December 5
- » Ronnie O'Sullivan to Face Jimmy White in Snooker Legends Show in Sofia on Friday
- » Bulgaria’s Ruse Wins European City of Sport 2016 Award
- » Two Romanian Football Legends to Join Stoichkov's 50th Birthday Show
- » PM: Bulgaria Has Potential to Be Among Best Sport Destinations on Balkans
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Concludes Season with Defeat in Paris