Bulgaria's Cheparinov Wins Prestigious Gibraltar Chess Tournament
Bulgaria's Ivan Cheparinov grabbed the title at Gibraltar's Tradewise Chess Festival, one of the world's strongest open tournaments.
In the final of the event, which had attracted 256 different players including over 60 grand masters, the Bulgarian faced off and defeated Russia's Nikita Vitiugov (1.5:0.5 points).
Vitiugov had the ambition to defend the title he won in 2013 but Cheparinov outplayed him in the rapid play games.
The 27-year-old Cheparinov was seeded 17th in this years tournament and is 75th in the world.
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov to Face Bjorn Fratangelo at Wimbledon
- » Bulgaria's Stiliyan Petrov to Join Aston Villa for Pre-season Training
- » Bulgaria's Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Undergoes Successful Spine Surgery
- » Bulgarian Olympic Medalist Will Not Box at Rio Olympics
- » Bulgaria's Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Has Reportedly Come Out of Coma
- » Kubrat Pulev to Box Mariusz Wach in Sofia in Autumn