Bulgarians Perform Better in 2nd Downhill Training in Soch
Bulgaria's Olympic skiers Georgi Georgiev and Nikola Chongarov made it to the top fifty in the second downhill training session Friday on the Olympic course.
The 24-year-old Chongarov clocked 2 minutes, 12.29 seconds, ranking 41, a much better result that his time a day earlier.
Georgiev finished 48th.
Matthias Mayer of Austria unexpectedly turned into a medal contender after leading the second downhill training session.
The 23-year-old Mayer clocked 2 minutes, 6.51 seconds, slightly quicker than Bode Miller's leading time from a day earlier, as the course was harder and a bit faster.
Former overall World Cup winner Carlo Janka of Switzerland was second, 0.27 seconds behind, but he missed a gate. Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third, 0.55 behind, with Miller sixth, 0.64 behind.
Conditions were again perfect.
A third and final training session is scheduled for Saturday, with the race Sunday opening the medal events for Alpine skiing.
- » Minister Invites Qatari Entrepreneurs to Invest in Bulgarian Sports Complexes
- » Bulgaria Goes to Eurovolley Quarterfinals after 3:2 Win over Netherlands
- » Croatia Defeats Bulgaria 3:0 in Euro Qualifier Match
- » Bulgaria Defeats Czech Republic in Eurovolley Match in Sofia
- » Bulgaria Hopes for Win over Czech Team in Eurovolley
- » Bulgaria Facing Croatia in UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifiers