Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in Figures
Here's a look at some key facts and figures related to the 22nd Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. What appears to be among the most expensive Olympics ever will open on Friday.
Cost: At least USD 50 B, including infrastructure work in and around Sochi
Russia's original cost estimate for infrastructure: USD 12 B.
How much of the cost that is sports-related, not infrastructure: USD 6.4 M.
Athletes: 6,000 from 85 countries (plus 1,650 Paralympians from 45 countries)
Number of events: 98 -- of which 12 are new
Number of security officers deployed for the Games: 37,000
Number of U.S. athletes, coaches, staff and guests who have booked the services of crisis response company Global Rescue in case of emergency: 375
Days of competition: 17, plus the opening ceremony
Time the opening ceremony begins: 8:14 p.m. local time Friday (11:14 a.m. ET)
Number of signatures on a petition by gay rights group All Out calling on Russia to eliminate "anti-gay laws," violence and discrimination against gay people: 406,767 as of Wednesday
Amount of borscht (beet soup) expected to be prepared and served during the Games: 265,000 liters (70,000 U.S. gallons)
Average price of lunch for one at the Olympic Park: USD 15.
Number of chefs, sous-chefs, cooks, waiters, bartenders and cashiers working the Games: 7,000
Average temperature in Sochi in February: 8.3 Celsius (47 Fahrenheit) -- the warmest ever at Winter Olympics
Number of people the Olympic Park holds: 75,000
Number of volunteers helping with the Games: 25,000
Distance the Olympic torch will travel to the Games: 40,000 kilometers (nearly 25,000 miles), including into space, over 123 days
Expected television audience: 3 billion
- » Grigor Dimitrov is Semi-finalist in Stockholm
- » Putin Described Russia's Olympic Problems as "Humiliation for the Country"
- » Ludogorets Defeated Sporting Braga with 2:0 and is Leader in Group C of Europa League
- » Grigor Dimitrov Progresses to the Next Round of the Stockholm Tournament
- » American Olympic Gymnast Revealed that the Team Doctor had Raped her
- » Football Super Star Lionel Messi Reached 100 Goals in the Champions League