EC Denies Alleged Ultimatum on US Visas for Bulgarians
The European Commission (EC) denied the media reports on the planned introduction of visas for US citizens, unless the US lifted the visas for the citizens of several EU states.
Michele Cercone, spokesperson of the European Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom said that by February 9 the EU member states can inform the EC on the lack of reciprocity in the US visa policies.
"We are trying to achieve an efficient solution of the problem to the best of our abilities", Cercone said. "But if you're asking if the EC will automatically and immediately introduce a visa regime for the US citizens, the answer is no."
Earlier this week the EurActiv website reported that the EC has warned the US of the potential introduction of visas for US diplomats, unless the US didn't lift visas for citizens of Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania.
- » Bulgaria Applies for Flood Damage Aid from EUSF
- » President Plevleniev: Bulgaria Can Meet EU's Renewables Target
- » President Plevneliev Criticises Guy Verhofstadt's Recommendations
- » ALDE President: Bulgaria Should Form Govt without Nationalist Formations
- » Bulgaria’s President to Take Part in European Council Meeting Oct 23-24
- » Hungary's Navracsics Deprived of Citizenship Portfolio in New EC Panel