Russia Calls on Militants for ‘Olympic Truce’
A day before the opening of the Sochi Winter Olympic Games, Russia's Foreign Ministry has urged all groups involved in armed conflicts to declare an "Olympic truce".
"First of all, our appeal is addressed to all parties in a bloody conflict in Syria, which has serious destabilizing influence not only on the situation in that country, but also the region in general", the Ministry's statement said.
"The resolution on promoting peace and building a happier life in the world through sports and fulfillment of Olympic ideals contains an appeal to all U.N. states to observe an Olympic truce separately and jointly under the U.N. Charter", the statement adds.
There is no mention of the separatist rebel movements in the North Caucusus region, which are the most feared to cause disruptions during the Olympics, however it can be implied that it is mainly directed at them.
On Wednesday, Dagestani police informed to have killed the suspected mastermind of the Volgograd bombings in a specialized operation.
- » Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg Finally Addresses Cambridge Analytica Scandal
- » Facebook Loses Nearly $50 Billion In Value
- » French Rail Strike Turning into Major Challenge For Macron
- » Paris Mulls Free Public Transport to Reduce Pollution
- » Kosovo Оpposition Use Tear Gas to Delay Parliament Vote on Montenegro Border Deal
- » Poland Seeking Compensation for World War Two Destruction