Russia Calls on Militants for ‘Olympic Truce’
A day before the opening of the Sochi Winter Olympic Games, Russia's Foreign Ministry has urged all groups involved in armed conflicts to declare an "Olympic truce".
"First of all, our appeal is addressed to all parties in a bloody conflict in Syria, which has serious destabilizing influence not only on the situation in that country, but also the region in general", the Ministry's statement said.
"The resolution on promoting peace and building a happier life in the world through sports and fulfillment of Olympic ideals contains an appeal to all U.N. states to observe an Olympic truce separately and jointly under the U.N. Charter", the statement adds.
There is no mention of the separatist rebel movements in the North Caucusus region, which are the most feared to cause disruptions during the Olympics, however it can be implied that it is mainly directed at them.
On Wednesday, Dagestani police informed to have killed the suspected mastermind of the Volgograd bombings in a specialized operation.
- » Four Confirmed Dead, One Missing after Macedonia Floods
- » US President Unveils Clean Power Plan to Beat Climate Change
- » 5 People Killed in Floods in Macedonia - Report
- » Romania’s Petrotel Lukoil Refinery Indicted for Money Laundering
- » Ukraine President Hints Putin Could Attack Bulgaria, Romania
- » Croatia’s Foreign Minister Vesna Pusic Confirms She Will Run for UN Chief