Dagestan Police Kill Suspected Volgograd Blast ‘Mastermind’
Authorities in the autonomous Russian republic of Dagestan report to have killed a suspected mastermind of the Volgograd bombings.
The militant was identified as leader of the "Kadarskaya" gang Mirzayev, a Dagestani law-enforcement source told Itar-Tass on Wednesday.
The operation was conducted in the city of Izberbash. One of the militant's accomplices surrendered, while the rest opened fire, and were killed in the shootout.
Last week, Russian police reported to have detained 2 brothers from Dagestan on suspicion of being involved in assisting the suicide bombers.
In consecutive attacks on a trolleybus and a train station in Volgograd in December, 34 people were killed and about 100 injured.
- » 'Clear' That UK Bomber Was Part of a Network
- » UK Police: 23-Year-Old Man Arrested Over Manchester Attack
- » Manchester Arena explosion: Children Among 22 Killed by Suicide Bomber After Ariana Grande Concert
- » Ariana Grande Concert: Deaths After Reported Blast
- » Erdogan Elected Leader of Turkey's Ruling Party
- » Theresa May: 'No time to Waste' as Brexit Talks Will Start Just 11 Days After the Election'