German Foreign Minister Calls for Sanctions on Ukraine
The German Foreign Minister has proposed that sanctions should be used against Ukraine's government if it fails to find a political solution to the current crisis.
"I think we must now show sanctions as a threat", FM Frank-Walter Steinmeier told ARD channel on Monday.
The Social Democrat minister's comments strike a different tone from the line taken so far by Chancellor Angela Merkel, who last week ruled out imminent sanctions, The Guardian reminds.
Ukraine has seen months of violent anti-government protests, as a result of the president's decision to back out of an Association Agreement with the EU, which was planned for last November. Even the recent resignation of PM Mykola Azarov failed to quell the protestors.
On Monday, it was also revealed that the EU and United States are discussing a possible financial assistance package to Ukraine, once a new government is formed.
- » Greece Begins Relocation of Migrants from Idomeni Refugee Camp
- » Former Green Leader Achieves Narrow Victory in Austria's Presidential Election
- » New AKP Leader Binali Yildirim Working to Form Turkey’s New Government
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Calls for Political Solutions to Humanitarian Crises at Istanbul Summit
- » Outcome of Austria’s Presidential Election Hinges on Postal Ballots
- » Austria's Presidential Vote 'Too Close to Call'
"I think we must now show sanctions as a threat", FM Frank-Walter Steinmeier told ARD"---and this is the real INFO, thanks, Novinite. US composers' magic melody:"sanctions as a threat"...Threat to whom? To ultra-national, fascist, anti-semitic scum which capture administrative buildings in Ukraine and openly threatens by "civil war"? Just
to the contrary: it is the threat to legitimate authorities of Ukraine, it is the OPEN support of the above ultras.
All means are OK for drugging Ukraine into AA [Association Agreement], right, Herr Frank-Walter-Friedrich Schellenberg-Steinmeier? Drung nach Osten! Heil, Demokratische Ordnung! You are real ARIER, Herr Steinmeier...