Bulgarian President Praises South Stream
Bulgaria hopes for a successful completion of the South Stream natural gas pipeline project in abidance with EU legislation, stated Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev.
Tuesday Russian state information agency ITAR-TASS published an extensive interview with the Bulgarian head of state on a number of topics of mutual interest.
"As President of Bulgaria I support the South Stream project and hope that it will be executed in line with market laws and will be synchronized with EU requirements, taking into account the fact that Bulgaria is a proud EU member," said Plevneliev.
He recalled that Bulgaria's government has declared the gas pipeline a strategic project, and stressed that in the country there is a consensus regarding the topic.
"For us South Stream is important given that there have already been unexpected problems with gas deliveries," said the Bulgarian President, refering to the 2009 Russia-Ukraine gas dispute.
"Thanks to South Stream we will be able to diversify the routes of natural gas delivery and live in greater tranquility and security," added he.
Plevneliev further expressed his hopes that the new pipeline will boost Sofia's ambitions to become one of Europe's energy centers.
- » China's Largest State-owned Nuclear Power Company is Interested in Belene NPP
- » Bulgaria Launches Natural Gas Hub Project with EU Support
- » European Energy Forum in Sofia
- » New Air-Electric Line Will be Built Between Bulgaria and Greece
- » CEZ will Explore Possibilities for Bulgarian State to Participate in the Deal
- » The Ministry of Energy will Check the Heating in Pernik