Bulgarian President Praises South Stream
Bulgaria hopes for a successful completion of the South Stream natural gas pipeline project in abidance with EU legislation, stated Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev.
Tuesday Russian state information agency ITAR-TASS published an extensive interview with the Bulgarian head of state on a number of topics of mutual interest.
"As President of Bulgaria I support the South Stream project and hope that it will be executed in line with market laws and will be synchronized with EU requirements, taking into account the fact that Bulgaria is a proud EU member," said Plevneliev.
He recalled that Bulgaria's government has declared the gas pipeline a strategic project, and stressed that in the country there is a consensus regarding the topic.
"For us South Stream is important given that there have already been unexpected problems with gas deliveries," said the Bulgarian President, refering to the 2009 Russia-Ukraine gas dispute.
"Thanks to South Stream we will be able to diversify the routes of natural gas delivery and live in greater tranquility and security," added he.
Plevneliev further expressed his hopes that the new pipeline will boost Sofia's ambitions to become one of Europe's energy centers.
- » Westinghouse Fuel Performs Flawlessly in Ukraine NPP, Experts Say
- » Europe Has No Alternative to Russian Gas at Present – Bulgaria’s Deputy PM
- » Bulgaria, Azerbaijan Seek to Unblock Nabucco Gas Project
- » Bulgaria Regrets Russia’s Decision to Quit South Stream - Ambassador
- » Gazprom Approves Capital Increase of South Stream Transport B.V.
- » EVN Proposes Rise in Electricity Prices of 6.98%